VMware Cloud Community
JeffHarrison
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMWare converter on a Domain Controller to resize partitions?

Hello,

I've read that you aren't supposed to use VMWare converter on domain controllers because the DC is very sensitive to hardware changes involved from going from physical to virtual hardware.

I actually have some Server 2003 DCs (virtual) that I want to upgrade to 2008 DCs (also virtual), but they need more disk space. I want to use VMWare converter to increase the disk size to allow the extra space taken up by Server 2008, but I'm wondering if this isn't going to work because the VMWare converter doesn't like DCs.

Is it still a concern to use VMWare Converter to essentially "convert" a virtual machine to another virtual machine that has more disk space on the OS partition? Am I going to have to rebuild each DC as a fresh Server 2008 server and then transfer the roles over?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Kevin_Gao
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You don't need to run converter...shutdown the 2003 DC. Edit the VM to increase the disk size. Attach the VMDK to a different VM as say "F drive". Boot it up...run diskpart and extend the "F drive". Shutdown...remove the DC's extended drive from the VM. Then power on the DC...voila no wonky stuff done to the DC.

Whole thing shouldn't take more than 3 minutes and no need to get into command line (ok other than the 2 lines of diskpart in DOS). Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

suggestion for a workaround:

add second larger disk while still running 2k3.

Boot into ghost-bootCD and clone small-disk to large-disk.

When done - edit VM settings and remove the old small disk.

Change scsi-id for large disk so that it uses scsi0:0

Next boot update to 2k8.

This way Converter has no chance to mess up drivers

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

JeffHarrison
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That's a great idea.

I will try that, thank you.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

stupid question ...

did you consider to resize with vmkfstools ? - thats even simpler and should not change disk-signature

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

Kevin_Gao
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You don't need to run converter...shutdown the 2003 DC. Edit the VM to increase the disk size. Attach the VMDK to a different VM as say "F drive". Boot it up...run diskpart and extend the "F drive". Shutdown...remove the DC's extended drive from the VM. Then power on the DC...voila no wonky stuff done to the DC.

Whole thing shouldn't take more than 3 minutes and no need to get into command line (ok other than the 2 lines of diskpart in DOS). Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
JeffHarrison
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Will that still work if it's a basic disk?

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, diskpart work with basic disk.

But remember that Microsoft do not official support it to exent a volume.

Andre

**if you found this or any other answer useful please consider allocating points for helpful or correct answers

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Have you considered to create a NEW VM with Windows 2008, an then do a simple dcpromo?

Or do you have other programs installed in your DC 2003?

Andre

**if you found this or any other answer useful please consider allocating points for helpful or correct answers

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
JeffHarrison
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Diskpart worked like a charm.

Thanks for all the replies everyone!

0 Kudos