VMware Cloud Community
IanBarnard
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMWare Workstation - clone an image but not the OS license?

I've got Windows 7 and 2008, and Linux VMWare Workstation images fully licensed, with additional products installed and configured with some data for a complex demonstration.  I can't give these to a business partner (i.e. outside my company) because I don't have any OS redistribution licenses, so I was wondering if it is possible to do a sort-of-clone of my image into a VMWare image the BP has prepared also fully licensed, without overwriting e.g. the Windows license info, so not a complete bit-for-bit clone.  For Linux I think I could do rsync between the two images, but how can I do this on Windows with its registry etc.?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
satya1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

first make clone then boot from cloned image & do changes again make a clone

Good luck!

This is the answer to your query. Don't forget to mark the answer, which help to others.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
satya1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi

change the product id & check in regostry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Current Version

1849486.png

Yours,

Satya

0 Kudos
IanBarnard
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So you mean do a bit-wise clone, then in the clone update the product ID to the BP's license ID?

0 Kudos
satya1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

first make clone then boot from cloned image & do changes again make a clone

Good luck!

This is the answer to your query. Don't forget to mark the answer, which help to others.

0 Kudos
IanBarnard
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Someone else suggested the 'proper' way to do this for Windows is to remove the license and product keys in two commands (first to remove the license second to clear the old product key from the registry):

slmgr.vbs /upk

slmgr.vbs /cpky

Then shutdown.

At this point the VMWare image can be cloned and given to my BP because it doesn't include my license any more.

When the image is started up it asks for a product key - the BP can enter this straight away, or later by using the command:

slmgr.vbs /ipk xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx

where the xxxs are replaced with the new product key.

Reboot and then the final step is to activate - log in as admin and use:

C:\Windows\System32\slui.exe 4

(not sure what the 4 does) this starts the activation dialogs.

Haven't tried this but it sounds better than editing the registry.

0 Kudos
satya1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi these are to overcome activation problem

incase yours windows activated after some days again asking for activation ( after installing all the updates & hot fix ) or using your leegal product key  not able to activate through internet in that time these commands are more helpfull.

Good luck!

This is the answer to your query. Don't forget to give feedback, which help to others.http://imagicon.info/cat/5-59/icon_biggrin.gif

0 Kudos