VMware Cloud Community
cit999
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Sizing

Hi there,

I am looking at moving a customer from physical to virtual and wanted to know peoples thoughts as to whether it is going to cause a performance issue.

Current setup - 1 x Citrix server for 50 users, 1 x Domain Controller/F+P/Exchange, 1 x Database server (Postgres)

Looking to move to 2 x IBM X3650M2's each with 2 x 2.26Quad CPU's, 20GB Memory, and dual HBA's in each, and I'll use a DS3200 with 4 RAID-5 arrays. Using VMWare Essentials Plus, and each client OS will have its own LUN in the SAN.

Does anyone see that this is going to cause me headaches from a performance P.O.V?

CIT.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
pramodupadhyay5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

what is the no of exange users and whether u use esx3.5 or esx4....this will also make a big difference

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos
cit999
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there,

35 Exchange users but there are very few emails sent and received each day, and most of them are internal.

Using version 4 for VMware.

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

There's not much we can say unless you tell us how they are utilized at the moment and what the hardware specs are.

Just want to let you know that 50 citrix users on a single VM is not very likely.

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator | VCP | VCDX

-

Blogging:

Twitter: (*NEW*)

Available Soon: vSphere Quick Start Guide ()

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
pramodupadhyay5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

yes u can go with ur configuration but for citrix i am having no clue......

0 Kudos
msemon1
Expert
Expert

For your Citrix servers you are more likely to get 25 -30 on a VM depending on workload. The performance will also be affected by your network and storage setup. Can you give us a little more info?

Mike

0 Kudos