VMware Cloud Community
tgradig
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

VMTools Updates

I don't know if there is an easier way to update the VMTools or not. In the What's new in 3.5, it says you can upgrade VMtools when a server is rebooted, but I can't find it. Is there such a thing? I have 500 guests to upgrade. Smiley Sad

My question is: Is there a noreboot switch for setup.exe? I have the command setup.exe upgrading my VMtools without any prompts, but I don't want it to reboot the guest after upgrading the tools. I want to be able to schedule a reboot later. I tried the msi path, but couldn't get that to work either.

Here is what I have so far: setup.exe /s /v/qn

Thanks,

Tony G.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
gdesmo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you edit properties of a vm. Goto the options tab - vmware tools. There is a check box under advanced "check and upgrade tools before power-on"

I have checked this in all of my vm's. So when ever I re-boot a guest OS. The tools are automatically upgraded if needed and re-booted. Nice.... Smiley Happy

tgradig
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I will use that for all new builds forward "thanks", but you have to turn the guest off to make the change. I have over 500 guests running and I can't just turn them off to make the change. That's why I need to upgrade them without doing a reboot and then schedule a reboot later.

0 Kudos
gdesmo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have timed the "change" and vm tools install with ms patches. So it is not an extra downtime for the guests.

There is a way to supress the re-boot during a tools install. But that makes me wonder if your really benefitting from upgrading at all. So I make sure I can reboot at the time of the tools upgrade. I know it's painfull anytime a reboot is required.

0 Kudos