VMware Cloud Community
royiii
Contributor
Contributor

VMDK vs RAW

We are wanting convert our file servers to VM's. I'm projecting two servers each with about 1.5 TB of disk each (1TB disk and 500GB disk plus a boot disk).

What are the positive and negative aspects of creating 1TB vmdk's?

What are the positive and negative aspects of creating 1TB RAW luns?

We use Ranger for backups. Will either option have any drawbacks?

Currently running on ESX 3.02

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
OlivierTremolie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Create a 1Tb vmdk file is possible if your SAN is well configured. If you have only one Raid Group on your SAN to manage your 1Tb, it isn't the best performance. You should have multiple Raid Group to gain performance. Don't forget, if you want 1Tb vmdk's you don't have to format your LUN with default settings. You have to change size block Smiley Happy

VMware says : RAW Luns has got less performance than vmdk. I don't try it... I'm only using vmdk.

I don't know Ranger. I use VCB to backup.

###############

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Olivier ############### If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
BryanMcC
Expert
Expert

The only thing I can say is to that if your 1.5TB LUNs are gonna grow you really want to do RDM do to the 2TB limit.. Also if you use vRanger than make sure your RDM is set for virtual compatability mode.

Help me help you by scoring points.

Help me help you by scoring points.