VMware Cloud Community
horgio
Contributor
Contributor

VM's start but console is blank

I am very new to vmware so bear with me ! We support a number of Hyper-V system and have descided to dip our toe into the vmware water but have hit a hurdle.

We have used a Dell R710 and installed the latest version of VSXi on it. We then used the convertor application to move a Windows 2003 Server to this and the whole process went very smoothly indeed, however....the new virtual machine starts ok but there is nothing on the console window. I can restart the virtual machine and get into the bios screen but it won't go any fuirther than that. I don't see any errors being reported anywhere so I'm kinda at a loss as to what is actually wrong.

I'm pretty sure it's something dumb that I have done as I didn't spend a great deal of time studying the documentation as I normally wait until something goes wrong 1st !!

Apologies if this is the wrong place to post this type of question but any pointers would be appreciated.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Chuck8773
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Welcome to the forums, and welcome to ESX.

I ran into this issue also. The resolution for me was my RDP connection's resolution. Bumping up the color depth resolved it. Let me know if this works for you.

Charles Killmer, VCP

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Charles Killmer, VCP4 If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
horgio
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Charles and thanks for the kind welcome.

I'm trying to view the virtual machine using the console tab within the vSphere Client application. Is there an option within this to change the colour depth ?

0 Kudos
Chuck8773
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

No there isn't. If you are RDP'ing into the computer that is running the vSphere client, check your RDP connectino display settings. If you are running it locally, try checking the local computer display settings. Actually, in both cases, check you local computer display settings as RDP sessions will not exceed your local display.

Charles Killmer, VCP

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Charles Killmer, VCP4 If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
srsrsrsr
Contributor
Contributor

I have kinda exact the same problem, but im using RHEL5 as Host and Guest system, i also can start the installed guest OS reboot etc but never get further. Im using Web access and browser remote consol plugin.

If i find any solution i let u know.

0 Kudos
aurimask
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem after i had converted my WIndows 2003 P2V into ESXi 4. VM starts, but can't see anything in console, can't access bios settings, no errors at all.

How to solve this ?

0 Kudos