VMware Cloud Community
groc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VM does not start

Hello,

One of my VM's is not starting, I get an error such as this one : Error: A file was not found.

The problem is that this VM had a second disk on a datastore that is no longer available. It was in iSCSI datastore, and the disk was showing up as drive E in the VM.

I cannot restore that datastore, it is gone forever, but I need the VM to come up without the drive E. At least it has drive C. Drive E had not application in it, it was just storing files.

I tried to edit the VM and remove the drive, but I cannot remove the drive because the VM is suspended. It was suspended, then the datastore was lost, and not I cannot edit the settings of the VM.

Is there a way around this?

THanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ctfoster
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

One way might me to use the 'Remove from Inventory" option and create a new VM picking up the remaining drives. Nice and clean.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ctfoster
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

One way might me to use the 'Remove from Inventory" option and create a new VM picking up the remaining drives. Nice and clean.

0 Kudos
chandlm
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Is it possible to use converter on a suspended VM? I haven't tried it but you might give it a shot.

0 Kudos
fejf
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You can try to remove the files and the necessary lines which say that this VM is in a suspended state (additonally remove the lines which say that there is a second disk).

--

There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and the rest and those who understand gray-code.

-- There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and the rest. And those who understand gray-code.
0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you don't mind losing the suspended state. Go into the console, into the vm folder, rename the suspended file (.vmss) and the nvram file (.nvram) and then power it on.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos