VMware Cloud Community
A25Simon
Contributor
Contributor

VM cloned from a VM is out of network

A VM on the domain was used to clone a set of VMs and post that the VMs are not able to connect to the network. The Network connections tab on the VMs show up with a status of "Unidentified Network"

Do i need to keep the base VM out of network to clone and avoid any network issues on the child VMs ?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

What product are you using?  A VM that is in the domain can be used for cloning, it is usually good practice to sysprep the clones after to give them new names / id's etc..  Are they being cloned to the same machine or different machines? It sounds like it can't resolve the network that your parent VM was on.  Can you go into the settings on the child vm's and adjust the network settings to select the correct network?

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
0 Kudos
A25Simon
Contributor
Contributor

I selected the correct network label from Edit settings menu…

Yes they are being cloned across three ESX servers….

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

the "connected" and "connect at power" on are checked? Cloning across ESX Servers is fine, however if the VM port groups are not exact the network label will be blank If possible can you provide a screen shot of the settings of the guest and the VM port group?  Also, are you using the same Adapter type?

Finally, if all settings are how they should be, try powering down the guest, make a note of the datastore, remove the guest from inventory, browse the datastore and add to inventory.

0 Kudos