VMware Cloud Community
craigl
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VM can't be stopped

I have a VM that through VC appears to be started however when I run the vmware-cmd (getstate) command it shows the VM as running. From VC I can't stop the VM because it will report the VM is stopped even though it has green poinnter indicating it's started. How can I stop the VM?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Try connecting directly to the ESX host using the VI client.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Try connecting directly to the ESX host using the VI client.

0 Kudos
lbogus
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You will need to get into host that has the vm (putty into it). Then type in ps -ef|grep (vm machine name). This will give you info on the running process. The second column will show you the PID number. Type in kill -9 (pid number). Check your vmstate again and it should be off.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I keep reading about the kill -9 as a suggestion to stop a VM. Last time i did that i was really sorry as it destroyed the VMs disk.. maybe first try it without the -9 signal Or try to stop from the command line. (*)

kill -9 is the surest way to kill a process; however, use it only as a last resort since it will not save any buffers.

(*) I mean using the vmware-cmd command, see grashoppers excellent explanation here:

http://communities.vmware.com/message/203563

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos