VMware Cloud Community
phenrichs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VM appears locked up

ESX 3.0.2 full featured

server 2003 R2 Guest OS appears shutdown, black console

tried power off, reset, power on not available option, with each attempt I get a message that task failed because another task is in progress. I checked the tasks/events and nothing shows in progress. there is a reset from yesterday that shows successful and after that all show another task in progress.

I need help remembering this, is there a way to emulate a hard boot from the command line or something like that. Seven other vm's running on same host are 100% problem free.

Thanks in advance

Regards,

Paul

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BryanMcC
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If you can run a ps -ef| grep <name of the VM> from the service console you can identidfy the PID that the process is using then use the kill <PID> command to kill the process. This should clear it up.

If for some reason the process does not die try kill 9 <PID>

Hope this helps.

Help me help you by scoring points... Smiley Happy

Help me help you by scoring points.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
phenrichs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

UPDATE

Just found where the tasks show a suspend from last night that is still showing in-progress but I do not have the option to cancel it.

0 Kudos
BryanMcC
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If you can run a ps -ef| grep <name of the VM> from the service console you can identidfy the PID that the process is using then use the kill <PID> command to kill the process. This should clear it up.

If for some reason the process does not die try kill 9 <PID>

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
jccoca
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Do you have the option to resume the suspend state?

Try this from the service console:

service mgmt-vmware restart

0 Kudos
phenrichs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So the pid that is displayed is the process for that vm, which loosely translates to kill that and it is like pulling the cord out of the wall, right?

and jccoca - won't the mgmt restart affect my other running guests?

0 Kudos
jccoca
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

No if you don't have any task running.

0 Kudos
BryanMcC
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thats right. Its just like pulling the plug on a physical server. The worst that can happen is you shut down the VM completely.. Although I have found if you look at the binary in the process name you can identify the task that is occurring. I usually just kill all related processes with the Vm name and deal with the shut down VM afterward.

phenrichs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

that is EXACTLY what I was looking for. I knew you could kill a vm from the command line but has been a year since I had to do it and forgot.

Thanks Bryan,

You Rock Here's some points for ya!

0 Kudos