VMware Cloud Community
tipsy01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VM Snapshots are not deleted properly

We are running a VI3 infrastructure and having issues with virtual machine snapshots.

We are able to create snapshots, however on one particular we are unable to delete them through the VI Client. We keep getting "Operation timed out" from the task. Sometimes we are able to delete the snapshot successfully but although the snapshot disappears from the snapshot manager the actual disk files remain on the datastore.

We are now several (6+) snapshots down the line, the VI client knows nothing about some of the snapshots and still with the VMDK files inhabiting one of our datastores. However we are running low on disk space.

My question is what files make up a snapshot? Can I just delete these files from the datastore if I leave the most recenet snapshot and original disks / configuration files in place?

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kastro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If you dont have enough free space on datastore then the only way to get rid of snapshot is to power off VM and make clone of this VM on another datastore (assuming that you have enough free space to do so). Cloned VM will be exactly the same as original, only snapshot files will be consolidated in VMDK. After that you can delete original VM with snapshots.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
LarsLiljeroth
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Try this:

First make a backup then

vmware-cmd removesnapshots

/ Lars

// Lars Liljeroth -------------- *If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
tipsy01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Lars,

I tried this but doesn't seem to make much difference.

0 Kudos
LarsLiljeroth
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

What is the output from you command ... How long time does it take ? Ussually it takes some time. ( minutes )

// Lars Liljeroth -------------- *If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
tipsy01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It ran for about 20 mins with no output so we assumed it had stopped. Should we run this overnight to give sufficient time to finish?

0 Kudos
LarsLiljeroth
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

A successful remove has the output = removesnapshots() = 1

So if you recieved no output i don't know.

How large is the snapshot ? ( servername-delta.vmdk )

0 Kudos
tipsy01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We have 9 delta.vmdk files ranging from 16MB to 10GB in size (half of these are 3GB or over)

0 Kudos
LarsLiljeroth
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

So any changes here ?

I think the process is going on in the background.

What files do you see as the last accessed ? the delta or the "flat"

0 Kudos
tipsy01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

When I thought it had stopped I close the putty session I had open.

I have now restarted the process and I'll leave the putty session open until I get some output hopefully later tonight.

0 Kudos
LarsLiljeroth
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

For snapshot files of that size yes i would say hours... maybe 4-5 Smiley Sad

But give it a try.

0 Kudos
tipsy01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That command does not seem to have worked. It is still running with no output. The trouble is we are rapidly running out of space on that particular datastore. Is there another way we can remove the snapshots?

0 Kudos
LarsLiljeroth
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Not to my knowledge Smiley Sad I would create a SR asap..

0 Kudos
kastro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If you dont have enough free space on datastore then the only way to get rid of snapshot is to power off VM and make clone of this VM on another datastore (assuming that you have enough free space to do so). Cloned VM will be exactly the same as original, only snapshot files will be consolidated in VMDK. After that you can delete original VM with snapshots.

0 Kudos
tipsy01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the input so far guys I'm trying to clone the vm now. I'll let you know how it goes.

0 Kudos
ezed
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

we have had similar deals, time is the key to allowing for snapshots to commit, could be several hours on large snaps. Cloning or backup and restore are often better options with large snapshots (snaps over a gig are a bit dangerous). there is a good way to track whether a delta is in use

grep the flat files for CID: the following is sample output. CID is the disk ID, parentCID is the disk that the delta is based on, all f's indicate the root disk, anything else will refer to another delta, you can follow the chain.

CID=04ee60c7

parentCID=ffffffff

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

This will take a long time because the snapshots are nested and will be merged to the earlier snapshot. this is also why you are losing more diskspace. Check my blog: http://www.yellow-bricks.com/2008/01/07/delete-all-snapshots/

Duncan

My virtualisation blog: