VMware Cloud Community
gary1012
Expert
Expert

VM Inventory - Common Characteristics

Hello,

With the proliferation of "free" virtualization products, my mgmt. is starting to get to understand that server/workstation sprawl can be a big issue if not properly controlled. With that said, I've been tasked with trying to inventory all of the VMs on my network. Does anyone know if vmwaretray.exe is installed on all flavors (Player, Server, Workstation, ESX) of VMware VM? I thought about writing a WMI filter to scan for VMware SVGA II, but getting it implemented across my enterprise would be tough (lots of turf wars).

Any other tips and tricks to ID VMs of any flavor (M$ would be gravy) would be appreciated.

Gary

Community Supported, Community Rewarded - Please consider marking questions answered and awarding points to the correct post. It helps us all.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Draconis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Refer to this question here (http://communities.vmware.com/message/962717). WMI would work for 2000 or later windows OSes I believe since you have to install it manually for NT. Are they only Windows-based guest OSes?

If you have found my answer helpful or correct, please consider awarding points.

If you have found my answer helpful or correct, please consider awarding points.
gary1012
Expert
Expert

Mostly W2K or greater... I'll check out the reghack. Thx.

Community Supported, Community Rewarded - Please consider marking questions answered and awarding points to the correct post. It helps us all.
0 Kudos
Draconis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Check out WMI instead (). It might be less of a pain.

Class: Win32_ComputerSystem

Property: Model

String should be VMWare Virtual Platform or something in those lines.