VMware Cloud Community
normalguy1234
Contributor
Contributor

VFil Tag Memory Leak on Windows 2016 Virtual Machine

We have a strange issues on one of our VMs. It is a 2016 Windows DNS server and for weeks we have battled a slow memory leak which I believe is related to wmware tools and more specifically the VFil tag. We also have deployed NSX to our hosts but it is not active as of yet. Using poolmon.exe on the Windows VM, we were able to determine that the VFil tag is slowing eating up more and more memory each day. After working with vmware support, they recommended reinstalling vmware tools and choosing the advanced option, then choosing to not install the Guest Introspection feature. According to vmware, the VFil tag is related to the Guest Introspection feature. We did the advanced/custom install as directed and the issue is still present. I currently have 11.1.5 version of vmware tools installed (without the GI feature). This was also occurring on when we were running vmware tools version 11.2. 

Does anyone have any insight or have had this happen to then in the past? Feedback is appreciated. 

Labels (1)
1 Reply
SysCloud
Contributor
Contributor

I have same problem, in my domain controller (PDC Role) and my printing server.

VFil Tag Memory uses non-paged pool alloc and uses 99% of available physical memory.

0 Kudos