VMware Cloud Community
vlelli
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VCB - unable to backup a VM

Hi all,

I've a problem to backup a VM

Configuration: esx 3.5, virtual center 2.5.0, backup proxy on windows server 2003

The following script is used to create and mount VM snapshot on the backup proxy:

call "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Consolidated Backup Framework\backupexec\pre-backup.bat" VM rh4-FullVM

pause

Backup works for all VMs running on esx except one called rh4. Running the bat file nothing happens and it exits after few seconds

rh4 VM is the only with RedHat AS 4 but I don't think this may be the problem.

rh4 is configured on a SAN storage that the VCB can access and the dns name resolution works.

VCB log level is 6 but no log file is generated.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Valter

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sbranchfbfs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Does the RH4 VM has vmtools installed in it? I think VM Tools is required for VCB to work correctly. I am still a newbie when it comes to Linux, but from what I've seen in other Linux distros (specifically Ubuntu), it's not easy to install vm tools in Linux. But, I could be wrong about that.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Is this VM using persistent disks? Can you snapshot this VM while it's running?

0 Kudos
vlelli
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I can take a snapshot of the VM when running

The hard disk is not configured with the Indipendent Mode

Valter

0 Kudos
sbranchfbfs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

My suspicion would be the part of the entry where you have "rh4-FullVM". If your VM is not called "rh4-FullVM" but just "rh4", then you will need to remove the "-FullVM" part. This string should be used when created your Selection List in BackupExec.

Beware, however, that this will introduce another problem that I have just posted a question on the forum about. Even though the instructions say to add "-FullVM" to the path of the Selection List, the "-FullVM" is not added to the name of the directory when the VM is mounted.

Leaving off "-FullVM" will allow the backup to proceed, but I'm not sure if this is the result that I want. At any rate, I think that following my advice above will help you to resolve your initial issue.

0 Kudos
sbranchfbfs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Okay,

I just ran another test and I need to revise my last post. Your pre job entry is CORRECT!!! But you have to make sure to add -FullVM to the end of your selection list. For example, if your prejob says "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Consolidated Backup Framework\backupexec\pre-backup.bat" VM rh4-FullVM, then you need to add c:\mnt\rh4-FullVM.

This should work. It worked for me (and I answered my own question on the seperate post).:D

0 Kudos
vlelli
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your suggestion. I tried adding the backup folder at the end of the command but it still doesn't work.

The strange is that an identical script works for different VMs, for example erp1:

call "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Consolidated Backup Framework\backupexec\pre-backup.bat" VM erp1-FullVM

If I replace erp1 with rh4 it doesn't work.

Valter

0 Kudos
sbranchfbfs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

One other thing that I would check (which you may have already done) is that your DNS reflects the correct IP address for rh4. Other than that, you've got me stumped.

0 Kudos
vlelli
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

dns setup is correct. from the backup proxy server I can resolve the name and ping the VM.

I made another test: I created 2 new VM, one with WS2003 and one with RH4 called rh46

I can backup without problems the ws2003 machine but not the new rh46.

I have no idea of where the issue can be

Valter

0 Kudos
sbranchfbfs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Does the RH4 VM has vmtools installed in it? I think VM Tools is required for VCB to work correctly. I am still a newbie when it comes to Linux, but from what I've seen in other Linux distros (specifically Ubuntu), it's not easy to install vm tools in Linux. But, I could be wrong about that.

0 Kudos
vlelli
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks a lot for your suggestion.

The problem was in vmware tools.

Originally I installed the tools using the rmp kit but checking the running process today I found that no vm* was running.

I reinstalled vm tools using the .gz distribution with the command ./vmware-install.pl and the correct processes are now running and backup finally works.

root 4272 1 0 15:03 ? 00:00:01 /usr/sbin/vmware-guestd --background /var/run/vmware-guestd.pid

root 5934 4272 0 15:13 ? 00:00:00 /usr/lib/vmware-tools/bin32/vmware-user >/dev/null 2>&1 -blockFd -1

Valter

0 Kudos