VMware Cloud Community
sbranchfbfs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Using VCB to do a full vm image backup - a little lost

I have followed the instructions (I think) for configuring both the config.js file and the BackupExec module for backing up my virtual machines. In the selection list entry, it says to add -FullVM to the end of the path (for example c:\mnt\myvirt-fullvm).

After doing this, I run the backup job but it fails stating that the directory (c:\mnt\myvirt-fullvm) cannot be found. This makes sense because when VCB mounts the vm it does so in c:\mnt\myvirt. It does not include the -fullVM in the directory name. I have run the job by leaving the -fullvm off of the selection list path. It performs the backup, but I am expecting to see all the vmx files and the like, but I only see the \letters and \numbers directory with the corresponding volumes and so on.

My goal is to perform a full image backup, not a file-level backup. What am I missing?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I don't know if this is correct becasue it's been so long since I used this, but I seem to recall that -FullVM name on the directory being case sensitive so if you do it with -fullvm then you get that error. Again I could be incorrect about that.

0 Kudos
sbranchfbfs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I actually just answered my own question. The problem was that I left out the -FullVM on the prejob path. I had <vcbpath>\backupexec\pre-backup.bat\myvirt when it should have said <vcbpath>\backupexec\pre-backup.bat\myvirt-FullVM.

This ran successfully AND I was able to see the vmx files, vmdk files, and so on in the backup!

0 Kudos