VMware Cloud Community
dragonaaab
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Use virutal machines on a different partition than the one where Wmware workstaion is installed,after formattation?

hello.

I've attached the folder I created for one virtual machine I created.(Windows XP Professional).

I am running wmware workstation 6.5.1 on Windows Vista Business SP1 (hard disk,partition c:)

My virtual machine are in D:\Users\Manuel\Documents\Virtual Machines (one sub-folder for every virtual machine,5 totally,4 windows xp,1 ubuntu).

Now I'm going to format partition C and reinstall Windows Vista Business SP1.

I'm worried which when I'll reinstall wmware workstation on windows vista after the full formation of partition C,I'll not be able to use virtual machine which are in D.

What should I do?

Virtual machine will be automatically rilevated? or I'll have to do some sort of backup?

thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

not automatically - you must then use the WS-GUI - click open and show the path to the vmx-file of your existing VMs.

Then you can add them to your favorites for easy access

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

if you do not format 😧 during Windows-setup you can later use the VMs again - make sure to keep the sub-folders with all the VMs files - most important are the *.vmdks

dragonaaab
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I understand but I've to do something in particular?

I mean after have done: Install Windows XP on partition C,install vmware workstation on windows xp.When I open it I'll automatically be able to use all the virtual machines I've on D(which has not ben formatted)?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

not automatically - you must then use the WS-GUI - click open and show the path to the vmx-file of your existing VMs.

Then you can add them to your favorites for easy access

0 Kudos
dragonaaab
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks!

0 Kudos