VMware Cloud Community
sbrousse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Upgrading NIC

I created a virtual machine in ESX 3.5 but I assigned it a 10mb NIC instead of a gigabit nic. How do I change that settings for the NIC on the VM?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
VMKR9
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You can change the network the machine is connected to by editing the vm properties and selecting the nic and changing the Network label: under Network connection. You can also change the settings of a physical nic under the configuration tab for the host, Networking, select properties for the vswitch and select the nics tab, then click edit and you can change the speed/duplex settings. If the vm is showing as 10mb but the vswitch is connected to a different network speed this is just a label, make sure vmtools is up to date and it will show the correct speed settings....

hope that makes sense!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
VMKR9
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You can change the network the machine is connected to by editing the vm properties and selecting the nic and changing the Network label: under Network connection. You can also change the settings of a physical nic under the configuration tab for the host, Networking, select properties for the vswitch and select the nics tab, then click edit and you can change the speed/duplex settings. If the vm is showing as 10mb but the vswitch is connected to a different network speed this is just a label, make sure vmtools is up to date and it will show the correct speed settings....

hope that makes sense!

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The NIC speed in the VM has nothing to do with the speed of the pNIC.

If the VM shows 10mbit you probably missed to install the VMware tools.

espi3030
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hello,

The speed of the NIC is controlled by the ESX server in the Configuration tab under networking. Select the vSwitch you want to configure and click properties, then select the network adapters tab and select the vmnic then click edit, there you can select the speeds available, or to auto negotiate.

0 Kudos
sbrousse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You were correct, installed vmware tools all works fine nic shows 1gig.

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos