VMware Cloud Community
DISISA
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrade Virtual Machine running in Fusion from 8gb to 16gb ram

I need somebody's help in upgrading the ram from 8gb to 16gb in a virtual machine running in Vmware Fusion in a Mac Pro Server with 32 Gb.

The first question:  Is it possible?

The operatin system in the Virtual Machine is Windows Server 2008 R2 x64.  The Virtual Machine was first installed in Fusion 4, and just upgraded to Fusion 5.01

If this is possible, any help will be tremendously appreciated.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jklick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I didn't realize that 5.x added the ability to get VMs up to 16GB, but I just verfied it on the product page and tried playing around with it a little bit. If it's an existing VM, some good first steps are to:

• Go into VM settings and change the compatibility to Fusion 5 (hardware version 9).
  • Power on or reboot the VM and go through the process of upgrading VMware tools.

However, I'm still left with a VM that cannot be configured with more than 8GB for some reason. I even tried creating a fresh VM and no luck. Bug? Or are we missing something? No idea.

In any case, the UI prevents us from configuring 16GB, but that doesn't stop us from altering the *.vmx file manually <insert evil, maniacal laughter>.

1. Go to your virtual machine folder in Finder.
  2. Right-click and "Show package contents"
  3. Scroll down to the *.vmx file and open it with TextEdit.
  4. On the sixth line or so, it will have a variable for "memsize". Change this to exactly "16384".
  5. Save the edit you did.
  6. Power on the VM.
  7. You'll get a mean message saying that it's not supported, but ignore it (muahaha).

Seems to work fine for me. I don't know why it's not possible via the UI, but hopefully this does the trick for you.

@JonathanKlick | www.vkernel.com
DISISA
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks a lot jklick.

Although fusion gives you a message saying that there might be memory misshandling, i've been trying your solution for 2 weeks now, and everything seems to be working properly.

I will keep using it and post here if there is a problem.

0 Kudos