VMware Cloud Community
Prost
Contributor
Contributor

Update all snapshots in a guest

I may not be using snapshots correctly but we are a software development company and need to change back and forth between different versions of our software. What I did was to setup a base install and took a snapshot of it (lets call this SS1). Then I installed version 1 of our software and took a second snapshot (lets call this SS1a). Now I reverted back to SS1 and installed version 2 of out software (lets call this SS1b).

This works great when a user needs to move from one version to another they just Go to.. that snapshot.

My problem came along when I needed to install MS updates on my Guest VMs. How can I apply updates to ALL snapshots in a VM guest? Is this even possible? I have done some testing and can not get the updates to save to all snapshots just the ones that are currently active.

I hope someone has some ideas on what I can do.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I'm afraid this isn't posible under ESX at the moment, there's no way to patch the 'base' without committing the snapshots.

Prost
Contributor
Contributor

That is what I was afraid of.

Thanks

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Have you had a look at Lab Manager? It might be more appropriate for the requirement you describe.

http://www.vmware.com/products/labmanager/

Prost
Contributor
Contributor

Lab Manager is the way to go. We just finished a POC and working on capital to implament it.

thanks for the help

0 Kudos