VMware Cloud Community
Realworld
Contributor
Contributor

Update Manager supporting Windows Server 2003 DataCenter

Does anybody know if Update Manager supports MS Windows Server 2003 DataCenter? and if so, could you please tell me how? 'cause I can't get it to work. The tag for the operating system is winNetDatacenter or something like that.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Updatre manager doesn't actually support any specific OS, it includes updates for Windows and Linux patches.

Or are you talking about installing update manager in Datacenter? I don't think update manager needs any specific support for an OS either, just as long as you have at least Windows 98 (I think even that would work) but XP with like 2 Gb of RAM and like 10G of free disk space for the patches.

Installation Notes

Update Manager installation requires network connectivity with an existing VirtualCenter 2.5 or later server. Each installation of the Update Manager module must be associated with a single VirtualCenter Server instance. The Update Manager system consists of a plug-in that runs on VI Clients and a server component that can be installed on the same system as VirtualCenter server or on a different system.

Minimum Hardware Requirements

Update Manager has specific minimum hardware requirements that must be met to ensure acceptable performance. These requirements vary based on how Update Manager is deployed. If the database is installed on the same machine, requirements for memory size and processor speed might be higher. Minimum requirements are as follows:

• Processor: Intel or AMD x86 processor with 2 or more logical cores, each with a speed of 2GHz.

• Network: 10/100 Mbps.

• Memory:

• 2 GB RAM if Update Manager and VirtualCenter Server are on different machines.

• 4 GB RAM if Update Manager and VirtualCenter Server are on the same machine.

Disk storage requirements vary depending on your deployment. Refer to the VMware Update Manager Sizing Estimator for more information.

For best performance, use a Gigabit connection between Update Manager and ESX Server hosts. 10/100 Mbps connections are also acceptable.

0 Kudos
Realworld
Contributor
Contributor

Hi RParker,

Given the list of supported OS-es on the main site about Update Manager, it should support Windows Server 2003, but it doesn't state that it does (or doesn't) support this particular version for updating the Virtual guest OS. And if I let Update Manager check my systems for updates, it gives an error that winNetDatacenter is not supported. Server 2003 Standard Edition is fully supported as I've noticed, but I think it's strange that DataCenter is not supported since this is licensewise the cheapest option. But my biggest problem is, that it doesn't only not support the OS itself, but apparently it doesn't scan inside the VM for other (supported) programs either. So the question remains, does anybody know if there is a way to get this working, or does anyone have the experience of seeing it functioning. Then it could be a setup error in my installation.

Regards,

0 Kudos
Realworld
Contributor
Contributor

issue is closed using the latest update manager that has come out.

0 Kudos