VMware Cloud Community
BPL5000
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unable to start VMs

When I try to start a VM, it just says "In Progress" and never starts. I tried to cancel the Power On task, but the option is grayed out. The Tasks and Events log does not show any errors... it just shows the VM in the status of being powered on. The icon next to the VM is the normal icon you would see when the VM is powered off. Any ideas why I can't power on my VMs? I tried to power on a second VM, but the same problem happen again.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Sangokan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Try this:

service vmware-vpxa stop

service mgmt-vmware restart

service vmware vpxa start

Log to the ESX server with putty and type:

ps -ef | grep VM_name

You can try to kill the process if there is one of the VMs being powered on with something like

kill 9 Process_pid

If you are using virtual center you can also try to restart the VC service.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
sbeaver
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You moved your SAN right? Something has changed and you need to un-register and re-register your VM's and I think that will resolve your issue.

Steve Beaver
VMware Communities User Moderator
VMware vExpert 2009 - 2020
VMware NSX vExpert - 2019 - 2020
====
Co-Author of "VMware ESX Essentials in the Virtual Data Center"
(ISBN:1420070274) from Auerbach
Come check out my blog: [www.virtualizationpractice.com/blog|http://www.virtualizationpractice.com/blog/]
Come follow me on twitter http://www.twitter.com/sbeaver

**The Cloud is a journey, not a project.**
0 Kudos
LWong72
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Same problem here!!! Running on a DL380 all drives RAID5. And who said anything about a SAN??? It's a domain controller and I installed GSX. Installed a VM with Windows 2000 as a member server and the ethernet card using bridged. Now the VM just sit there saying configuring network.........what's the deal?

Should I be using Microsoft Virtual server instead?

0 Kudos
Sangokan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Try this:

service vmware-vpxa stop

Log to the ESX server with putty and type:

ps -ef | grep VM_name

You can try to kill the process if there is one of the VMs being powered on with something like

kill 9 Process_pid

If you are using virtual center you can also try to restart the VC service.

0 Kudos
LWong72
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I think the first question that needs to be asked is "are you using ESX". Everyone here is answering based on that but if you look at all the users past questions, he never mentioned ESX.

0 Kudos
BPL5000
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sangokan

I followed your instructions and did this:

service vmware-vpxa stop

I did this on both my ESX servers and then rebooted. Maybe I didn't need to reboot, but anyway, after doing this, I was able to start my VMs. Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
BPL5000
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

LWong, this post is under VMware Infrastructure, which means ESX (if I'm not mistaked). If I were using VMware Server or VMware Workstation, I would post it in the appropriate forum.

0 Kudos