VMware Cloud Community
kawyjr
Contributor
Contributor

USB COM pass through while using Remote Desktop Connection

I have a VM on one of my ESXi hosts that has connections to all three of our networks. Is it possible for me to RDP into that Vm using a laptop and allow the VM to access and use devices connected to the laptop? I would like to be able to use a Usb to serial adapter in this case. I can see the device on the laptop, and I have loaded all the drivers on both the laptop and the VM, but the device does not show up in device manager on the VM. I have tried using a laptop with Windows 7 and Windows 10, both ended with the same results. I also went into GPO and allowed COM port redirection on all devices, and while setting up the RDP session I went into local resources and allowed all devices. I can see the Usb to serial adapter if I plug it directly into the host server, unfortunately that doesn't do me much good when i need to connect to a machine on the other side of the building. I am running ESXi 6 and the VM is running Version 11.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

Two options:

1. Use VMware Remote Console
  2. Use Workstation Pro 12.5.x to connect to the ESXi and then open the VM from Workstation Pro.

In both cases you should be able to Connect USB devices to the VM so long as the VMware Tools are installed/working properly.

Workstation Pro is not free.

Useful link:

Downloading and Installing the standalone VMware Remote Console (VMRC) in vSphere 5.x and 6.0 (20912...

0 Kudos