VMware Cloud Community
vDeepak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

UNABLE TO EXTEND C DRIVE SPACE FOR A VM

i am using vsphere and want to increase one of our vm. but when i right lcik that vm select option of edit settings and go to hard disk i found that space amount is greyed out at right half.

will you please assist me how shd i extend its c drive space but before that how dhould i enable that greyed option .

would like to inform you that to be on safer side i just taken the vm snapshot as well..is that causing the issue?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
24 Replies
vDeepak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Any Update!

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

do you have weird entries in the vmx-file ? - if unsure post it

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
TechnoButt
Contributor
Contributor

is it possible that the disk is an ide virtual disk instead of scsi? apparently you cannot change ide sizes on the fly with the gui. You can, however, do a V2V migration and change the disk size during the migration using Converter.

I know this is an old thread, but I was stumped by a similar question and this is the answer I found elsewhere, so I thought I'd put it here since this came up higher in search.

0 Kudos
Khue
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is the issue the fact that he can add space to the vmdk file but he cannot get the OS to extend the partition into that free space? I've gotten lost reading the post over a few times. As far as I know, it is impossible to extend the C: partition from the native windows installation (without the use of a pre-boot tool, of course). Couldn't he just attached the vmdk related to the c: partition on a slave vm and use the slave vm to extend the partition after hes allowed it to grow? This would have to be done while the machine is off, but this is basically what I do to extend c: partitions on windows machines. Hope this might be of some help.

0 Kudos
Kahonu84
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Aloha - The way I read it is that he cannot get to the point where he can extend the drive from a vSphere perspective.

Bill

0 Kudos