VMware Cloud Community
Loren220
Contributor
Contributor

Trying to convert an old Win 2000 to a VM

One of our client has an old Win 2000 server that has an application installed that can't be migrated to a new server (lost install disks and company is out of business).  The application is only used to look up old customer data or inventory information.  I've tried converting the physical machine to virtual but it won't boot as a VM.  I followed the instructions below but still get the following BSOD error when VM boots. Any suggestions on how to fix this?  The physical machine still boots and I can make any modifications to it as needed and reconvert.

I followed the instructions from the this link:

http://mbhtech.blogspot.com/2011/01/converting-windows-2000-machine-has.html

Also added the regisitry changes suggested in this link:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=nl&u=http://support.microsoft.com/kb/271965/nl&ei=owv...

Server1st.JPG

Server2nd.JPG

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Please post (attach) the VM's .vmx file as well as its latest vmware.log file.

André

PS: Discussion moved from VMware Knowledge Base to Converter

0 Kudos
Loren220
Contributor
Contributor

Let me know if this was the right log file.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
nshetty
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

The problem here seems to be with the driver for the controller.

Are we using IDE drives ?

If yes then convert them to SCSI disk and check, http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1016192

-- Nitin

0 Kudos
nshetty
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

just went through the vmx file, Its a scsi disk with bus logic controller.

Please follow the below steps and update :

Change the SCSI controller type of the virtual machine to LSI Logic Parallel:
  1. Ensure that the virtual machine is powered off.
  2. Select the virtual machine and click Edit Settings.
  3. Select the SCSI controller field that is configured as type BusLogic Parallel.
  4. Click Change Type.
  5. Select LSI Logic Parallel and click OK.
  6. Repeat Steps 3 through 5 for all the SCSI controller fields that are configured as type BusLogic Parallel.
  7. Power on the virtual machine.

Or follow the below steps :

With Bus logic controller

To install the necessary drivers in the virtual machine when you want to use BusLogic Parallel:

1. If the virtual machine power on operation results in a BSOD, use Procedure 1 and convert the SCSI controller type of the boot virtual disk to LSI Logic Parallel.
  2. Power on the virtual machine.
  3. Download the VMware SCSI driver from http://download3.vmware.com/software/vmscsi-1.2.0.4.flp.

Note: The floppy image is also available on the ESX host at /vmimages/floppies/vmscsi.flp.

4. Copy the VMware SCSI driver files to the desktop or any other easily accessible location on the virtual machine.

Note: The VMware SCSI driver is also bundled with VMware Tools package. Installing VMware Tools on a virtual machine that is configured with a BusLogic Parallel type SCSI controller automatically installs the VMware SCSI driver.

5. Power off the virtual machine.
  6. Add a new SCSI controller of type BusLogic Parallel to the virtual machine.

To add a new SCSI controller of type BusLogic Parallel:

1. Add a new hard disk of small size, say 1MB.
    2. For the Virtual Device Node selection in the wizard, select the controller that is different from the controller for the boot device.

For example, if the boot virtual disk of the virtual machine is on controller 0 (when the Virtual Device Node for the boot virtual disk is one of SCSI (0:x)), then select SCSI (1:0) as the
      Virtual Device Node for the newly added hard disk.

3. After the hard disk is added, it adds a New SCSI Controller entry corresponding to the Virtual Device Node selected in Step b.
    4. Change the SCSI controller type to BusLogic Parallel, by selecting the new SCSI controller and clicking the Change Type button.

7. Power on the virtual machine.
  8. Follow the Found New Hardware wizard or the Windows device manager inside the Windows guest and provide the location of the VMware SCSI driver downloaded in Step 3. This installs the drivers for the BusLogic SCSI controller inside the guest operating system.

Note: Instead of using the Found New Hardware wizard and providing the downloaded VMware SCSI driver, you can also try installing or upgrading VMware Tools on the virtual machine. This automatically installs the VMware SCSI driver.

9. Power off the virtual machine.
  10. Remove the hard disk that is added in Step 6 from the virtual machine.
  11. Change the type of the remaining SCSI controller(s) to BusLogic Parallel.
  12. Power on the virtual machine.
0 Kudos
Loren220
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply and I apologize it took me this long to reply but I’m still having issues with the VM.  I followed your instructions in step one and changed the SCSI Controller to LSI Logic Parallel.  When powering on the VM it still blue screens with the same error message I posted before so I’m unable to add the driver you suggested.  Any advice will be helpful as I’m not sure how to recover this server.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
nshetty
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

We could try performing the conversion again, but this time we could install the drivers on the physical machine before the conversion itself.

"Did you try using all the other controllers "bus controller" and paravirtual controller"

--NS

0 Kudos