VMware Cloud Community
Excitech
Contributor
Contributor

The Parent Virtual Disk has been modified since the child was created

Hi All,

Firstly I am new to all this VMware and we had a server that had a lot of snapshots these were all deleted and now when we try to start the VM it comes up with the following error "The Parent Virtual disk has been modified since the child was created"

I have looked through pervious posts and nothing stands out as my problem. please help

This seems to be what has happend but it doent tell me a resolution to the problem!http://communities.vmware.com/message/1163039/images/emoticons/sad.gif!

I have enclosed the VMX file and the VMware.log file

Any ideas would be gratefully recieved

Thanks

Lee

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Post the contents of /vmfs/volumes/479d1604-f816c234-4b62-00215aca6a8c/Windows 2003 Domain Controller/Windows 2003 Domain Controller_1.vmdk

From the command line (Assuming ESX 3.5) type:

cat /vmfs/volumes/479d1604-f816c234-4b62-00215aca6a8c/Windows 2003 Domain Controller/Windows 2003 Domain Controller_1.vmdk

0 Kudos
Excitech
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you lightbulb for the responce I have looked in that folder and only have the following files..

Windows 2003 Domain Controller_1-flat.vmdk (8.3gb)

Windows 2003 Domain Controller-flat.vmdk (20 gb)

Which one do you require? this is not the server thats having a problem its one called CafmSvr1

The Windows 2003 Domain Controller is not even in the VM infrastructure client list (but the files are still located in that directory and volume)

Thanks again

Lee

0 Kudos
Robert54
Contributor
Contributor

Hi I believe I have seen this before you have actually deleted these machines but tey can be re built from the flat file. I cant remeber the commands bur when it happnd to me vmware support re built them fo me

0 Kudos
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Ok your descriptor file is gone. Check this KB (The section

Virtual disk header file is missing)

0 Kudos
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Sorry you need to recreate

"CafmSvr1-000001.vmdk"

I did not read your vmx fully the first time around. Baby kept me up last night.

0 Kudos
Excitech
Contributor
Contributor

Lightbulb :- Your a star thank you so much... My new born is still keeping me up.... but then they look so cute..

I will try this and let you guys know.. Thanks Robert for the input..

0 Kudos