VMware Cloud Community
scotty_p
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The CPU of the host is incompatible with the CPU feature requirements of vm

I'm running an HP ML570 g3 with Intel em64t. I'm trying to add a new win2k3 64 bit guest os, but i'm getting the error

"vmware the cpu of the host is incompatible with the cpu feature requirements of virtual machine"

I've got Virtual Technology enabled in the BIOS. Is there anything else that needs to be enabled to allow this?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

Are you sure that your host CPU supports VT?

If yes enable it and powercycle[/b] the system.

Message was edited by:

oreeh

According to the HP site the 570G3 uses Xeon MP CPUs

According to Intel ( http://processorfinder.intel.com/List.aspx?ProcFam=528 )these CPUs don't support VT

0 Kudos
scotty_p
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don't know about that Intel tool, but I do have the option to enable or disable Virtual Technology in the BIOS. I've enabled Virtual Technology, unplugged the power cables, reconnected them and rebooted. I'm still getting the error.

0 Kudos
msmenne17
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My understanding was that the EM64T CPUs were did not have the VT extensions and therefore, VMs don't work in 64bit mode.

In my previous employment, we were using 3.6Ghz Xeon MPs w/ EM64T, but did not have any options for VT.

Michael

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

Then your CPU doesn't support VT and the BIOS probably has a bug in offering it

(saw this a few days ago with another HP server).

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

A "normal" 2003 Server 64bit doesn't need VT.

VT is required to run 64bit guests with ESX (and WS/Server) as a host.

0 Kudos
scotty_p
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Intel has shipped a BIOS update for its Xeon MP 7000-based systems that will enable its Virtualisation Technology (VT) on servers with four or more CPUs. The feature has been built into the chips since they first shipped, in November 2005, but without BIOS support it hasn't been accessible

Just found that on Intel's site.

0 Kudos
13erla
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have dell 6850s quad intel. 7140m

I have been in the bio and do not have a VT enable option.

I can not create a 64 bit windows stnd vm as I too receive the error that the CPU is not compatible in ESX301

any thoughts?

0 Kudos
scotty_p
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I just ran the utility that was sent by HP. the processors ML570s don't seem to support 64-bit virtual machines. Just tried it on the G4's and it works fine.

Thanks everyone for their help.

0 Kudos
hegars
Contributor
Contributor

Just as a note on this thread ... I had the same question/issue about how to enable running a 64-bit VM ... the VT setting in the BIOS of our DELL 6850 fixed it ... thanks Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
scbonner384
Contributor
Contributor

Hello all,

Back to what 13erla said about his bios. I also can not see the VT setting in the bios of my PE6850 to enable it. FYI, the virtualization technology was not enable in the Dell PE6850 Bios until bios version A03. I have downloaded and installed A05 and still no option. Does anyone who has done this know were the heck to set it.

Also, I have been on the phone with Dell Gold support for an hour now and they are lost as well. they agree it should be there but they don't see it in there simulator either. Thanks Dell!!!

thanks very much,

Scott Bonner

0 Kudos