VMware Cloud Community
XBFoz
Contributor
Contributor

Terminal Services Not Responding

Recently I have noticed that Terminal Services is not responding (in the management console - services.msc - we no longer have the options to start/stop the service - the options are greyed out). Terminal Services will run correctly (it is running in Admin mode) until the server is rebooted. Then sometimes it will stop working and sometimes it continues to run correctly - but in either case - the service can no longer be controlled (start/stop)?

I have checked for any kind of MS KB article describing the issue, but the affected servers are Windows 2003 with SP2 (all latest patches applied) - on both 32/64 bit servers.

Anyone else seen this behaviour?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Santhosh_vmware

Hi XBFoz,

There is no way to stop/restart terminal service from services.msc,only you can start it if its not set startup type to automatic.When terminal server hangs do you have chance to see the memory usage of the server from console ?.If you have access to console make sure you have free system page table entries > 10,000 .(you can find this value in permon->memory->free system page table entries)

regards

santhosh

0 Kudos
M_Rahni
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

We have the same issue,

Virtual machine: Win2003R2 STD SP2 with all the latest patches

We have noticed that when this happens none of the windows services respond, If we try to stop a service it just gets stuck on stoping status

any one any ideas?

0 Kudos
polysulfide
Expert
Expert

I've recently seen this on many 2003 physical servers after our last round of updates. This isn't related to VM at all.

I'd be happy to know if somebody determines the root cause.

If it was useful, give me credit

http://communities.vmware.com/blogs/polysulfide

VI From Concept to Implementation

0 Kudos