VMware Cloud Community
VirtualKenneth
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Template, not deploying "Gateway" and "DNS" everything else goes well.

Hi,

I'm deploying W2K3 Ent R2 servers, therefor I've created a standard template-file.

I'm reading the template and choosing "Use the customization wizard to temporary adjust the specification before deployment".

When changing the IP configuration the Gateway and DNS settings aren't deployed.

Anyone experienced this be4?

Using ESX 3.0.1 and VC 2.0.1

Cheers,

Kenneth

0 Kudos
62 Replies
chouse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, I am now having the same problem - I removed all the TCP/IP settings from the template and deployed a VM from it - only the IP and subnet were populated, no gateway, dns, or wins.

The IP and subnet are set though.

So now it appears we are having the same problem! I guess it's no big deal to set them manually, but honestly, if this is a feature, it should work! What are we doing wrong?

I was hoping this problem was fixed with VC 2.0.1 but no, it's still there from 1.x.

0 Kudos
dpearson
Contributor
Contributor

We are not doing anything wrong, I'm pretty sure. I think it worked correctly in VC 2.0 and stopped working in 2.0.1. I never installed 2.0, so I can't verify this, but I'm thinking about doing it to another server and checking if the scripts in the scripts directory are the same (under program files\vmware\virtual,.,,,\scripts).

It is a big deal for us, because we have about six suffix search entries and having to manually type all those in is a big step backwards. Not only that but the automated joining to the domain is broke, etc. So I am searching hard for a solution and waiting with high hopes for Vmware to address the request submitted above.

Cheers!

-David

0 Kudos
jhanekom
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The wizard just creates what it thinks is a suitable Sysprep answer file and injects it to C:\Sysprep\sysprep.inf on the VM.

I have a suspicion the version of Sysprep between 2K3 and 2K3 R2 has changed slightly. Which version of Sysprep do you have on your VirtualCenter server?

Do you get the same behaviour when deploying older 2K3 templates? Does the problem resolve itself if you replace the Sysprep files with what is found in the Deploy.cab file on the 2K3 R2 CD?

If all else fails, mount the drive of the machine you're deploying in another VM before the Sysprep wizard starts up (i.e. immediately after deploying the templat) and take a look at why the sysprep.inf file is botched.

jhanekom
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@ dpearson: The customisation wizard is a bit flaky in my experience also.

Rather spend the time to create a decent sysprep.inf file (stored in VC 2 under Customisations), which you can customise at deployment time by just entering the correct server name and IP address.

Doesn't look as pretty as a wizard, but IMO is much more reliable and flexible.

0 Kudos
VirtualKenneth
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I've installed the sysprep from the R2 ISO file so that couldn't be the problem.

Gonna dive in more into the sysprep file, when I get some new information i'll post it here.

Tx

0 Kudos
chouse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I deployed an XP template and did not power it on after it was deployed. Then I added its disk to another VM.

The C:\sysprep\sysprep.inf file is as follows:

\[Unattended]

OemSkipEula=Yes

InstallFilesPath=\sysprep\i386

\[GuiUnattended]

AdminPassword=\{removed but correct}

OEMSkipRegional=1

TimeZone=35

OemSkipWelcome=1

AutoLogon=Yes

AutoLogonCount=1

\[UserData]

FullName="Metro Health"

OrgName="Metro Health"

ComputerName=xptest

ProductID=\{removed but correct}

\[GuiRunOnce]

\[LicenseFilePrintData]

AutoMode=perSeat

\[Identification]

JoinWorkgroup="WORKGROUP"

\[Networking]

InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

C:\sysprep\i386\$OEM$\cmdlines.txt:

\[Commands]

"\WINDOWS\vmware_imc\imctool.exe -r vmprep.cfg"

"cscript.exe \WINDOWS\vmware_imc\setguestinfo.wsf imc_status I:40:scheduling_final_task"

"\WINDOWS\vmware_imc\bootrun -service \WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe /c imc_final.bat"

"cscript.exe \WINDOWS\vmware_imc\setguestinfo.wsf imc_status I:50:rebooting"

C:\windows\system32\vmprep.cfg is a binary file

C:\windows\vmware_imc\setguestinfo.wsf is some xml with encoded jscript

C:\windows\imc_final.bat is as follows:

@REM \----

@REM imc_final.bat

@REM Copyright (C) 1999-2003 VMware, Inc.

@REM \----

set IMCDIR=%systemroot%\vmware_imc

cscript "%IMCDIR%\setguestinfo.wsf" imc_status I:70:configuring_network

@REM setnet.bat might not have any commands in it if all nics are DHCP. In this

@REM case, the following 'call' to setnet.bat will not modify %errorlevel%. The

@REM following clears any error that might have occurred in setguestinfo to

@REM keep it from accidentally triggering the if statement below.

date /t

call "%IMCDIR%\setnet.bat"

if errorlevel 1 (

cscript "%IMCDIR%\setguestinfo.wsf" imc_status E:0:error_configuring_network

)

net stop bootrun

"%IMCDIR%\bootrun.exe" -unregserver

cscript "%IMCDIR%\setguestinfo.wsf" imc_status D:0:done

set loopCount=0

:loop

rd /q /s "%IMCDIR%"

if exist "%IMCDIR%" (

if %loopCount% lss 50 (

set /a loopCount=loopCount+1

goto :loop

)

)

set IMCDIR=

set loopCount=

The C:\windows\vmware_imc\setnet.bat file is as follows (and the IPs are correct, but are not globally routed)

@REM -- Copyright (C) 2003 VMware, Inc. All Rights Reserved --

cscript "\WINDOWS\vmware_imc\setnet.wsf" /MACAddress:00:50:56:ad:5c:85 /UseDHCP:no /IPAddress:157.194.210.128 /SubnetMask:255.255.0.0 /PrimaryWINS:157.194.210.169 /SecondaryWINS:157.194.207.169 /Gateways:157.194.251.100, /GatewayCostMetrics:1,2 /DNSServers:157.194.210.21,157.194.21.250 /DNSSuffixes:metrogr.org

C:\windows\vmware_imc\setnet.wsf is xml with encoded VBscript.

Everything looks correct. Is there something missing?

0 Kudos
chouse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

After checking it out, I booted it up and let sysprep do its thing.

The IP & Subnet were set correctly but not the DNS, gateway, or WINS servers:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : xptest

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : metrogr.org

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VMware Accelerated AMD PCNet Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-50-56-AD-5C-85

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 157.194.210.128

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

0 Kudos
VirtualKenneth
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Correct, that's exactly what my thread is about Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
amartinovsky
Contributor
Contributor

Hey guys,

i have experienced the same issue with different customers. but only with the R2 release of Win 2003. i also took sysprep from the R2 cd, but the error stays as described by the others in this thread. hope vmware is going to fix this, as an automated deployment is not possible now.

cheers andreas

0 Kudos
mark_chuman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I am going to call our VMware rep this week and ask about my SR that has been out since the begining of October. Very disappointed.

0 Kudos
mark_chuman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

FYI, I have a call into our rep. The pressure will now begin to build.

0 Kudos
VirtualKenneth
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Thanks for the effort so far!

0 Kudos
mark_chuman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

No offense, but I am trying to resolve the same issue at my work. I just piggy-backed your thread Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
VirtualKenneth
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

No problem, I still got points to give away in my thread, maybe you are going to deserve them Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
mark_chuman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I would much rather have a refund on the money my company paid VMware for support Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
williambishop
Expert
Expert

Same thing here, but since I've been dealing with sysprep issues for the last two years in one way or another, we just used a vbs script that sets our dns entrys(read something.int) and an ahk script that pulls up a gui to ask for the IP you want to use, and sets the gateway and all other pertinent info for you. I do wish they would fix this however.

P.S., just have it run on startup after first login(which you can also automate).

You then have the option of using the netdom command and the %computername% to automatically have it join the domain.

As I said, we're so used to having to find ways around windows stuff, it was a mere dip in the road.

--"Non Temetis Messor."
0 Kudos
Andreas_Besser
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

i have the same problem on 2 customer-farms (esx 3.01/vc 2.01).

Hope ther is a solution for the problem the next days...

Regards

Andreas

0 Kudos
mark_chuman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

FYI,

Response on my SR from VMWARE --

\--response below--

I appologize for the extended delay that you've experienced with this issue.

There is a bug assigned to the issue you are experiencing.

I'll explain what is causing the issue, this snip is taken from the bug

report:

"When you customize a virtual machine with a static IP address, the customization process assigns the IP to the network card during the final boot of the virtual machine. Joining a domain occurs before that, during the second boot. If no DHCP server is available during this second boot, the network card does not get a temporary IP address and the virtual machine is not able to join a domain. During the third and final boot, the static IP addresses get assigned, but the domain join step is not performed again. The result is a virtual machine that is not part of the domain."

The workaround for now is to make a DHCP server available so that the customized virtual machine gets a temporary IP address and joins the domain before a static IP is assigned.

I've attached this Service Request to the bug report, which means as soon as the bug is addressed you'll be informed.

Let me know if you have any more questions on this, if not this case will remain open until we receive and inform you of that fix.

0 Kudos
dpearson
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the post, but that is not the issue we are all experiencing and I understand I might be stating the obvious, so my apologies.

We are not getting the static DNS, DNS suffix search orders, and default gateway specified in the wizard populated to the vm. The static IP and subnet mask are getting populated fine.

Would it be possible to inform your tech rep of this distinction?

Thanks!

-David

0 Kudos
is_nt_admins
Contributor
Contributor

I agree. I am deploying with DHCP but the machines still fail to join the domain for the reasons stated above. I now have changed my Customizations to join Workgroups and I add them to the domain as a second step. This is getting to be very annoying!

0 Kudos