VMware Cloud Community
VirtualKenneth
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Template, not deploying "Gateway" and "DNS" everything else goes well.

Hi,

I'm deploying W2K3 Ent R2 servers, therefor I've created a standard template-file.

I'm reading the template and choosing "Use the customization wizard to temporary adjust the specification before deployment".

When changing the IP configuration the Gateway and DNS settings aren't deployed.

Anyone experienced this be4?

Using ESX 3.0.1 and VC 2.0.1

Cheers,

Kenneth

0 Kudos
62 Replies
mark_chuman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Yes, I am experiencing the same exact thing. I am also using R2, but Std. My network settings are not being pushed down to the machine which causes my template domain join to fail. I have VC 1.4 and ESX 2.5.4

0 Kudos
VirtualKenneth
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

So @ your site complete network settings are missing?

I'm using ESX 3.0.1 / VC 2.0.1 and only the Gateway and DNS are failing. The IP address itself is being pushed over.

0 Kudos
mark_chuman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Yes, when I click back in the mini-setup portion "typical" is selected in network settings instead of customized like the .xml customized file instructs.

0 Kudos
is_nt_admins
Contributor
Contributor

I am seeing the same issue. VM's created from templates fail to join the Domain during creation. I always have to wait for it to timeout and join later. W2K3 Enterprise and Standard. VC 2.1, ESX 3.1

The templates are set to use DHCP.

Message was edited by: me

is_nt_admins@fastenal.com

0 Kudos
mark_chuman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I put in a support call, will let you know what happens.

0 Kudos
VirtualKenneth
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Great, Thanks!

I'll keep on watching this topic.

0 Kudos
mark_chuman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Sent VC and ESX log files to VMWARE support. FYI

0 Kudos
is_nt_admins
Contributor
Contributor

Any word on this yet? JUst had it happen again...

0 Kudos
VirtualKenneth
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Well I think chuman's call is still open Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
mark_chuman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Support call is still open. They are examining log files. FYI.

0 Kudos
mark_chuman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

FYI,

Built out a new VC2 and upgraded one ESX server to v3. Was not even able to get any of the customization settings to drop to the client from template/clone deployment.

0 Kudos
mark_chuman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Wow, case is still open. Met with another person in my company who also is having problems using the guest customization. If he tries to add the newly created template to the domain via the customization .xml file it fails, if he just adds it to a workgroup it succeeds. I am sort of seeing the same thing on my end, except now the mini setup hangs at the windows licensing screen. If I click on the console, the mini setup continues, if not it just sits there on that screen. Sort of feels like this feature is a beta feature. Will keep you updated. I am going to give another couple weeks and then start turning up the heat.

0 Kudos
pengo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am experiencing the same thing...

0 Kudos
VirtualKenneth
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Well as far as I'm concerned you can turn up the heat directly to VMware Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Yps
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Count me in for this problems also Smiley Happy

/Magnus

0 Kudos
pengo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

SR filed to VMware. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
dpearson
Contributor
Contributor

I posted this in the VC services forum as well. We are seeing the same behavior, only IP and subnet mask being applied, no default gateway, DNS, etc. even though these are in the customization template the vm is deployed with.

The customization template was created from scratch, not imported.

This is ESX 3.01, vc 2.0.1.

0 Kudos
chouse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We experienced something similar to this - deploying a template and specifying an IP address during the pre-deployment configuration wouldn't work - the server would boot but the IP would be 0.0.0.0 with the correct subnet but no default gateway.

I coverted the template back to a virtual machine, booted it up and change its IP address from a static on to DHCP, shut it down, converted to template, and then deployed a VM from the template, specifying a static IP and then when the machine booted, the IP was set.

However, the gateway, subnet, DNS, and WINS servers were no longer set as they were in the image.

Message was edited by:

chouse

0 Kudos
dpearson
Contributor
Contributor

Hmmm... I just tried this, setting the template to use DHCP. I'm still getting the same results. IP and subnet mask are populated with settings spec'd in deployment wizard, but DNS, default gateway and DNS suffixes are blank, even thought they were spec'd as well.

After rereading your post, I realize we are talking about different problems. You were not picking up the IP, whereas we are not picking up the DNS, gateway and suffixes.

I found a log in the temp directory of the deployed guest called bootrun-script.log. In this log it clearly has the settings as spec'd in the deployment wizard. Something is hindering it from being properly set, however. The script that generates this log is run out of c:\windows\vmware_imc, which ultimatly gets removed at the end of the process. I was hoping to run the script manually to see if it threw any errors.

Still waiting for a solution to the above request.

Thanks for the response!

-David

0 Kudos