VMware Cloud Community
phenrichs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sysprep without VC

OK let me start with a little background. I am putting two vm's on a headless esx 3.0.2 box without any VC. The engineers have a rename utility for the vm's (running server2k3 R2) that uses sysprep. Are there any gotchas in VI3 that I should know about? ANyone had any experience with this type of setup where the vms hold the sysprep files and not the VC?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jccoca
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I have do it in w2k, w2k3 and w2k3 sp1 without problems

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
WillemB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm not experienced with R2 but a template in VM is nothing other than a sysprepped machine.

Deploying a template is running the mini-install or unattended-install after sysprepping.

As long as the rename tool does a proper sysprep of a virtual machine there should not be a problem.

If you are using a sysprepped physical machine then look up P2V migration.

P.S. We have done RIS deployment on ESX without problems. (As long as the hardware and vmware tools are tested in the first roll-out). RIS is also just a sysprepped machine.

0 Kudos
cheeko
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

No, there is no problem in doing that. Same issues and/or benefits as on HW.

I did it before for some Windows 2003 64bit machines, as VMware isnt able to do this with VC ...

jccoca
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I have do it in w2k, w2k3 and w2k3 sp1 without problems

0 Kudos
taylorb
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You should have no problem at all using Sysprep without VC. For a while, I was using ESX without VC and I would just sysprep a Virtual machine to use for my "image". Then I would just copy its hard drive and use that copied hard drive as the virtual disk for a newly created VM. Hope that makes sense.

0 Kudos