VMware Cloud Community
phenrichs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sysprep ? for esx 3.0.2 and 3i

We have a utility for renaming and configuring our servers that employs sysprep. Can vm's have sysprep successfully run on them from cd or do the files need to be copied to the vm in a specific location.

Details: This is currently a test environment and can me manipulated

1 Esx 3.0.2 host running 2 Win2k3 vm's and one Virtual Center vm (optional)

We plan to move this entire setup and design to a 3i host in the next couple of weeks so if anyone knows of any differences for 3i I would appreciate any help you can give.

Regards,

Paul

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Sysprep has to be extracted and run from a folder. you may be able to extract them then burn them to a CD, and then run some command line tools to have the files written elsewhere, but sysprep is very small.

3i is the same as 3.5, it just doesn't have a console, and ALL commands are from the RCLI (remote command line). The sysprep can be on the VC instance, and then you can configure your VM's centrally, so you don't have to copy the sysprep to each VM.

ESX Server 3i vs. ESX Server 3

Both ESX Server and ESX Server 3i support the entire suite of VMware Infrastructure 3 products, features and solutions, and you can use ESX Server 3 and ESX Server 3i side-by-side in your virtual infrastructure. Both provide industry-leading performance and scalability; the difference resides in the architecture and the operational management of ESX Server 3i.

Management Functionality

By removing the Service Console, ESX Server 3i completes an ongoing trend of migrating management functionality from this local command line interface to remote management tools. The table below provides a side-by-side comparison of management approaches taken by ESX Server and ESX Server 3i:

ESX Server 3 uses the Service Console for:

ESX Server 3i leverages:

Executing custom scripts

Remote Command Line Interface (Remote CLI)

Hardware monitoring agents

Industry-standard monitoring protocols such as agent-free management through CIM

Backup or management agents

ISV solutions that leverage standard interfaces, the VI API and VMware Consolidated Backup

davidjerwood
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We also have a utililty that uses pxe boot to deploy a sysprep image. This works fine with virtual machines.