VMware Cloud Community
MikeBinVT
Contributor
Contributor

Storing VMs on a Windows Server

Noobie VMWare user here. I've got ESX 3 up and running and I'm trying to mount a Windows Share to store VMs on. I installed Windows Services for Unix on the 2003 server, and the wizard completes without an error, but when I try to browse the datastore it doesn't show any of the files I put in the folder.

What'd I do wrong?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

Here's documentation I created for this...

How do I create a NFS volume on a Windows Server to use for storing ISO files for my VM’s? – You can do this if you have Windows 2003 Server R2 which has built-in NFS Services

• On the Windows 2003 Server make sure “Microsoft Services for NFS” in installed. If not you need to add it under Add/Remove Programs, Windows Components, Other Network File and Print Services

• Next go to folder you want to share and right-click on it and select Properties

• Click on the NFS Sharing tab and select “Share this Folder”

• Enter a Share Name, check “Anonymous Access” and make sure the UID and GID are both -2

• In VirtualCenter, select your ESX server and click the “Configuration” tab and then select “Storage”

• Click on “Add Storage” and select “Network File System” as the storage type

• Enter the Windows Server name, the folder (share) name and a descriptive Datastore Name

• Once it finishes the configuration you can now map your VM’s CD-ROM devices to this new VMFS volume

Fyi…if you find this post helpful, please award points using the Helpful/Correct buttons.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Thanks, Eric

Visit my website: http://vmware-land.com

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

MikeBinVT
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the quick response. I had already done all those steps though, but nothing shows up when I choose to Browse the Datastore from the VIC. I also copied a vmdk into mount point and can't attach it to a new VM either.

0 Kudos
taylorb
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

This isn't too helpful for your current problem, but VMware says they only support Red Hat NFS as a software NFS solution. You might try that if this is going into production.

0 Kudos
Chris_S_UK
Expert
Expert

if you do a ' netstat -an | find "2049" ' on the Windows server, do you see a connection from the ESX server? (2049 is the NFS port)

MikeBinVT
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Chris,

Yes I see 2 connections from the IP of the ESX server looks like from ports 965 & 966.

0 Kudos
MikeBinVT
Contributor
Contributor

Finally got it working, I had only been mapping users in the Windows Services for Unix, once I mapped the groups as well it started showing the files.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Specifically, NFS protocol version 3 carried over TCP is supported as a datastore alternative to VMFS-3.

0 Kudos