VMware Cloud Community
msemon1
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Storage VMotion

Hello,

I am looking at balancing my storage. Currently have 8 VMFS datastores on an EMC SAN. I am going to use SVMotion to move VM's between datastores. My question is on the VM's that have RDM's. Some are in physical and virtual compatability mode and some are large. Will they SMotion like the standard VM's or are there any gotcha's?

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
djciaro
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

In order to remove the RDM disk you would need to stop the VM .. if you can stop the VM you don´t need Storage VMotion, simply stop the VM and migrate to the new Storage.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
djciaro
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

here is 1 gotcha: A VM using RDM will not move to another lun. Only VMFS volumes with VMDK files.

msemon1
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

So what you are saying is that VM's with RDM's cannot be moved between VMFS datastores. That is a big gotcha. What removing RDM file, moving VM and recreating RDM?

0 Kudos
djciaro
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

In order to remove the RDM disk you would need to stop the VM .. if you can stop the VM you don´t need Storage VMotion, simply stop the VM and migrate to the new Storage.

0 Kudos
msemon1
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

So for the VM's with RDM's what I need to do is a power them off and do a cold migration. That makes sense.

0 Kudos