VMware Cloud Community
BriansVblog
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Storage VMotion a Domain Controller

Has anyone successfully used Storage VMotion to move a Domain Controller? Any gotchas to be aware of?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
williambishop
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Just tested, no issues.

--"Non Temetis Messor."

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
williambishop
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

There are no known issues I'm aware of. I've not done it, but I know several that have. Technically it should be no different than dmotioning any other server, and that's pretty commonplace.

--"Non Temetis Messor."
Craig_Baltzer
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I've svmotioned both W2K and W2K3 domain controllers without any problems

williambishop
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Just tested, no issues.

--"Non Temetis Messor."
0 Kudos
Rockapot
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

This should cause no issues, done this before with out problems.

Carl

0 Kudos
atbnet
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

There will be no issues in carrying out storage vMotion on an AD DC and it will be available thoughout the process.

However technically there will be a brief moment when the initial snapshot is taken and when it is re-commited after migration. In terms of a DC though no-one will notice.

Failing that and there is a long timeout in connection if you have more than one DC (which you should have) it will try that one.

Andy, VMware Certified Professional (VCP),

If you found this information useful please award points using the buttons at the top of the page accordingly.

Andy Barnes
VCP / VCA-DT / MCITP:EA / CCIA
Help, Guides and How Tos... www.VMadmin.co.uk

If you found this information useful please award points using the buttons at the top of the page accordingly.
0 Kudos
Alnico
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am not that familiar with VMotion. Does it use the same techniques as other VMware life P2V tools? If so, it would seem the concerns in this VMware article would apply: Virtualizing existing domain controllers:

A relevant Microsoft article regarding virtualization of DCs is:

-

David T.

0 Kudos