VMware Cloud Community
Azharshaikh2
Contributor
Contributor

Stop code driver irql_less_or_not_equal what failed vm3dmp.sys

hello all,

we recently hit back by an high memory usage alert for our windows 2016 server and after sometime server got rebooted unexpectedly by bugcheck 0x000000d1. It was  BSOD Stop code driver irql_less_or_not_equal what failed vm3dmp.sys.

checks done from my end.

1.checked if any application/ updates got installed but nothing as such found

2. checked vmtools version status which shows current.

please find attachment for ref.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Azharshaikh2
Contributor
Contributor

Hello All,

can anyone help me out on this.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Some additional details might help, e.g. Hypervisor, version, build, VMware Tools version, latest installed updates on the guest OS ...
Also take a loo at https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/67243 to see whether this applies.

André

0 Kudos
g9panas
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
Azharshaikh2
Contributor
Contributor

Hello andre,

Hypervisor: Esxi 6.5 PO4 15256549

vmtools version: 11265

Updates installed on last patching cycle:20th march 

kb67243 is not applicable 1st tools version is already more than 10.3 and later 

2nd this was applicable to vm associated with horizon view- here this is not an horizon view vm.

azhar shaikh

0 Kudos
Azharshaikh2
Contributor
Contributor

Hello 

Below article refers 0x0000000A

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/debugger/bug-check-0xa--irql-not-less-or-e...

however our bugcheck error was 0x000000d1 

i had also analysed memory and found driver vm3dmp.sys was the culprit. Please find attachment for the same . And let me know why this happens and what will be the next action to avoid the same hit back in future.

0 Kudos
Azharshaikh2
Contributor
Contributor

++attachment for the outcome of memory dump analysis through bluescreen view.

0 Kudos
g9panas
Contributor
Contributor

https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Workstation-Pro/SOLVED-BSOD-on-vm3dmp-sys-after-installing-...

you will have to

• to reboot with the installation ISO or CD

• open a command line console on your virtual machine

• go to the system drive (usually D:\) in \Windows\system32\drivers\

• Rename vm3dmp.sys as vm3dmp.sys.old

• Reboot your virtual machine. It should then boot properly, but VMWare display drivers will not have been loaded

• Remove the Displaylink drivers which seems to be the cause for the BSOD

• Go back to \windows\system32\drivers

• rename vm3dmp.sys.old back to vm3dmp.sys

• reboot. And you should be ok

0 Kudos
Azharshaikh2
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

i had already gone through this article and this refer to vmware workstation with client operating system and most importantly they had this issue after installation on vmtools however in our issue this is not the case.

our server is 2016 and from event viewer i could find event id 2019 prior reboot and after reboot everything back to normal.

Based on memory dump it was vm3dmp.sys and now need to figure out how to get rid of it for future occurrence 

Note: this was the first time we faced this issue on this server and after that server is working fine no any issue been observed 

0 Kudos