VMware Cloud Community
Tekviper9
Contributor
Contributor

Step by Step Netware 4.11 to ESX 3.5

Hello ,

My Name is Keith And I have been working with VMware since GSX 2.5 and I would rate myself intermediate to dangerous working with Vmware products. I have convertered many machines Windows, Linux and Novell 6x. But I have yet to have a good knowledge of how to do a successfull Convert of a Novell 4.11 server.

I have trolled the posts , Googled , Binged. I get many hits on people who say " I have converted many Novell 4.11 servers " in these forums. But I have yet to find a good walk thru on how to do it for the first timer . Would anyone have a link or can give me these steps ?

To Give an example of what Im looking for here is a Link to a Step by Step for Novell 5.x and Novell 6.x and this document was a great help for me (See Link below)

Also the option to upgrade the 4.11 to 5.x is not an option I am looking to just give the old Novell servers a place to live until they can be de-commissioned from our Tree

Thanks in Advance

0 Kudos
20 Replies
Tekviper9
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Still looking for some help on this

Bumping my post

0 Kudos
lholling
Expert
Expert

Hi There

Do you have a licensed version of Portlock Storage Manager? It is really easy when you use this it just depends on whether your current server is IDE or SCSI already. Other than that let me know what you have and then I can give the best advice.

Leonard...

-

Don't forget if the answers help, award points

---- Don't forget if the answers help, award points
0 Kudos
Tekviper9
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Leonard,

Thanks for the response.

Yes I have a full license of Portlock I have already converted 6.5 amd 5.1 server but Im having trouble with the 4.11 And yes these servers are coming from old COMPAQ hardware so all of them will be SCSI servers.

Thanks for your help in advance!

0 Kudos
dconvery
Champion
Champion

You're probably having issues because of the old "F10" utilities partition. What you should try is to build a fresh NW411 VM, then copy the autoexc.ncf, startup.ncf, etc to the VM from the physical. Then just use Portlock to recover the Netware columes.

Dave Convery

VMware vExpert 2009

Careful. We don't want to learn from this.

Bill Watterson, "Calvin and Hobbes"

Dave Convery, VCDX-DCV #20 ** http://www.tech-tap.com ** http://twitter.com/dconvery ** "Careful. We don't want to learn from this." -Bill Watterson, "Calvin and Hobbes"
0 Kudos
renegadeZA
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

HI There,

I need ur help with Portlock ive tried down

loading it and the Licence it comes with is only to backup

i only need to convert one Novell server to Vm and the cost of portlock is hugh,

is ther anyway u can help me with port lock please, u will be helping me tremendously.

Kind Regards

Comptia A+ | Comptia N+ | CCNA |NES |HP ACT | EE N3 | MCP | MCTSx5 | MCITPx2 | SCS | VCP -VI3 | VCP - VSphere4

-

Please Reward Points----

Kind Regards Gareth Ray Smith Comptia A+ | Comptia N+ | CCNA |NES |HP ACT | EE N3 | MCP | MCTSx5 | MCITPx2 | SCS | VCP 3 | VCP 4 | KLDST ---------Please Reward Points---------
0 Kudos
savart
Contributor
Contributor

Keith,

Did you get an answer to your question? I am in a similiar situation and need an answer ASAP. I don't have access to portlock, but need to convert a Compay SCSi server from Physical to Virtual.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
renegadeZA
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Comptia A+ | Comptia N+ | CCNA |NES |HP ACT | EE N3 | MCP | MCTSx5 | MCITPx2 | SCS | VCP

3 | VCP 4 | KLDST

-

Please Reward Points----

I Guys,

Ok i have posted a Document, with images decribing the Steps to Convert NW4.11 to esx 4, dont worry about the compaq partition, once migrated you wont need it, when selecting the netware partitions to migrate, just deselect the Compaq partions from the list.

Works hundred's.

Kind Regards Gareth Ray Smith Comptia A+ | Comptia N+ | CCNA |NES |HP ACT | EE N3 | MCP | MCTSx5 | MCITPx2 | SCS | VCP 3 | VCP 4 | KLDST ---------Please Reward Points---------
0 Kudos
savart
Contributor
Contributor

Sir,

I thank you much. I hope this will work. I have a few follow-up questions for you.

1. Portlock NetWare Boot CD version 4.02.

I found the download link and it shows as BETA, does that matter? Will the 3 meg download and files be fully functional or will I need to purchase?

2. Vmware Tools for Novell 4.11.

Do you have a link for this?

3. Custom NetwareISO image. I can supply.

Can you email or send an ftp link?

4. Esx Server Setup with you’re a VM ready For Novell 5.(Will explain Later)

5. TCPIP Infrustructure, DHCP Running on the TCPIP Network

6. And Time.

Thanks so much, I apprecaite you helping me out.

0 Kudos
PaulSvirin
Expert
Expert

Here is also a link, although for installation, but maybe you will find something useful:[http://www.myboogpages.com/2009/02/installing-netware-41-on-vmware.html]

And, are there Vmware tools for 4.11 ? It seemed that no.

---

iSCSI SAN software

http://www.starwindsoftware.com

--- iSCSI SAN software http://www.starwindsoftware.com
0 Kudos
renegadeZA
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Comptia A+ | Comptia N+ | CCNA |NES |HP ACT | EE N3 | MCP | MCTSx5 | MCITPx2 | SCS | VCP

3 | VCP 4 | KLDST

-

Please Reward Points----

HI okay, the netware tools is standard with ESX, the custom Netware iso is my own that has the NW4-idle file and the nlm's required for the SCSI disk drivers.

i will include them here for you...

the portlock cd i got from a friend (wants to remain anonymous)...

If you have a FTP address ill will upload for you.

0 Kudos
savart
Contributor
Contributor

FTP

renpost

G0team!

I will be taking down in a couple hours..... Thanks so much again.

0 Kudos
renegadeZA
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Its night here, will try remember in the moring to upload to you

Kind Regards

Gareth Ray Smith

3 | VCP 4 | KLDST

-

Please Reward Points----

0 Kudos
savart
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, Thanks.

0 Kudos
savart
Contributor
Contributor

I would like to change the password then. Can you send me your email so I can send to you?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
renegadeZA
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Cant post my e-mail addy here, make it the same and once ive uplaoded you can change it

Kind Regards

Gareth Ray Smith

3 | VCP 4 | KLDST

-

Please Reward Points----

0 Kudos
savart
Contributor
Contributor

Done.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
renegadeZA
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Wont let me upload once conneted wont let me add, no writes to add

Kind Regards

Gareth Ray Smith

3 | VCP 4 | KLDST

-

Please Reward Points----

0 Kudos
savart
Contributor
Contributor

working now. I posted a file and removed it with credentials.

renpost

G0team!

I used filezilla

Thanks Bro.

0 Kudos
renegadeZA
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

all done, sorry it took so long to upload,

let me know if you have it ok.

Award points if this helped

Kind Regards

Gareth Ray Smith

3 | VCP 4 | KLDST

-

Please Reward Points----

0 Kudos