VMware Cloud Community
gcoleman
Contributor
Contributor

StarWind iSCSI target no longer available after reboot

Hello,

I have an ESX machine that is connecting to a Software iSCSI file with Windows 2003 Datacenter on it. The software iSCSI program is from Starwind. I shut down the 2003 VM, restarted the iSCSI host system (Windows XP) and now ESX can no longer see the iSCSI data, though it states it is connected.

I rescanned the iSCSI target in ESX, it stated no problems, but does not show the datastore nor is it browseable as before.

Using a windows system, I was able to connect to the StarWind iSCSI target file, but of course cannot see the data as Disk Manager wants to format it.

1. Why cannot connect to the iSCSI target after reboot?

2. How do I get this file back into ESX? The import options state nothing of use from what I can see.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

If you rescan your adaptor, see if the LUN shows up. If it does, but just doesn't show up in your storage section, check to see if you have warnings about snapshot or resignature in your vmkernel logfile.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
gcoleman
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. Under the Events tab, it states:

Configuration file for (blank entry here) on esx.esx.local in ha-datacenter cannot be found.

The (blank entry here) is just a blank space maybe two spaces large. I assume it is talking about my VM?

0 Kudos
mike_laspina
Champion
Champion

I believe the the Starwinds iSCSI target software only allows 1 initiator per LUN.

Make sure you disconnect any other initiators and then try reconnecting the ESX host.

http://blog.laspina.ca/ vExpert 2009
0 Kudos
gcoleman
Contributor
Contributor

It will allow multiple connections, however I believe ESX does not allow this, or its initiator. I may be wrong on this but how I tested this prior to me ESX/iSCSI test was that I created a StarWind iSCSI file, allowed multiple connections to it (thats an option during creation) and was able to connect two Windows systems to that file at the same time. I did not do anything to the file such as formatting as I believe it could cause problems.

Anyways, there are no other systems connected to the iSCSI file. I ensured that as Starwind states who is connected to the files via their console.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
mike_laspina
Champion
Champion

Try removing the Dynamic Discovery iSCSI server entry and then re add it.

As well check the security profile and verify that the iSCSI Client access did not change.

KjB has a good suggestion, did you check for a resignature error message?

0 Kudos
gcoleman
Contributor
Contributor

Mike,

I have proceeded with your suggestion, rebooted (as it states to reboot in ESX) then added the dynamic discovery IP which attached without error. Still no drive shows as a datastore.

0 Kudos
mike_laspina
Champion
Champion

Use the tcpdump -i vswif0 (or vswifX where X is the adapter that the iSCSI console is on) to observe the iSCSI traffic on port 3260 during a rescan of vmhba32 you should see a two way conversation

NB. don't run it from ssh if that is on the same network.

also have a look at /var/log/vmkwarning

and the output of

dmesg

0 Kudos
Anton_Kolomyeyt
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You believe in the wrong thing: StarWind supports multiple connections just fine. To have it working with the ESX you NEED to enable clustering when you'll be configuring your iSCSI target.

2OP: And if you have issues you're welcomed to send StarWind log to with some comments of yours. We'll be happy to help.

0 Kudos