VMware Cloud Community
JosephSpears
Contributor
Contributor

Solaris 10 (u10 and u11) Java Patches hang in VMware workstation 8

I have been asking on the Oracle Sun site this same question, but being that I am doing this in VMware Oracle may be dismissing it as a VM thing.

I have a clean install of both Solaris 10u10 and 10u11, when I go to install either a Java patch or a full JDK it hangs in the post install script entering a waiting state never to came back (waited overnite to make sure). If i ^c out of the patch, it will execute just fine the next time, the Java versions seems to be getting completely installed on the second try, any assistance in figuring this out would be greatly appreciated.. Not much information can be gleaned from the truss outputs,other than it seems to be going to sleep waiting on a child process that never seems to finish.

Patches:

118668-40 JavaSE 5.0_x86: update 38 patch (equivalent to JDK 5.0u38)
118669-40 JavaSE 5.0_x86: update 38 patch (equivalent to JDK 5.0u38), 64bit

125138-39 JavaSE 6_x86: update 37 patch (equivalent to JDK 6u37)
125139-39 JavaSE 6_x86: update 37 patch (equivalent to JDK 6u37), 64bit

JDK:

SUNwj7rt (the main package of JDK 7)

VM is configured:

4gb of RAM

2 CPU

600 GB HD (thin provisioned)

Bridged Network

I have the Guest installed with a root ZFS partition.

I am at a loss to explaing the process going to sleep.

Any ideas would be helpfull.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JosephSpears
Contributor
Contributor

I seem to have found my issue. (https://support.oracle.com/CSP/main/article?cmd=show&type=bug&id=15909269)

It is a bug is in the Solaris patches making a call for the service tag number using the "/usr/sbin/smbios -t 4"

Untill there is a bug fix, the workaround seems to be when the JAVA patch goes into "wait" status (during the postinstall script) is to execute a "pkill smbios" this well stop that hung process and continue on as normal.

Edit:

I would for the sake of patching (when using the quaterly patchset) when those JAVA patches "hang" when installing; wait and every so oftem do a "ps -ef | grep smbios" to make sure that the patch is at that point in the install script before attempting to do a "pkill smbios"

0 Kudos
bakerzdosen
Contributor
Contributor

Just to add to the above:

I also ran into this same thing (running pca). I simply canceled out of the (4) Java patches when they hung and then re-ran them (expecting to have to kill the smbios process) at the end.

However, they simply ran as expected and patched cleanly. One of the patches that ran after the Java ones obviously patched the problem.

0 Kudos