VMware Cloud Community
pingwu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Solaris 10 VM migration between ESX and VMware Server or between AMD<->Xeon

I have a Solaris 10 VM created in Dell 2950 with ESX 3.0.2 that convert to Stand alone mode that I can't bring up with VMware Server 1.0.4.

What is the mobility on Solaris platfrom between version and CPUs platfroms? Regards,

Ping Wu

Ping Wu
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The behavior you describe for VMware Server 1.0.4 is exactly what would be expected of Solaris 10 Update 2 on a family 6 Xeon processor. Are you testing all of the VMware hosted products on the same system?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Solaris 10 prior to Update 3 will not boot on Family 6 EM64T processors (e.g. Woodcrest).

Solaris 10 prior to Update 5 will not boot on Family 6 EM64T processors with Extended Model numbers (e.g. Penryn).

pingwu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The Solaris image created in ESX on Dell2950 (Xeon) migrate to Workstaiong 5.5 on Dell D620 Winodows XP work fine.

But the same image can't run under VMware Server on Dell2950(Xeon).

Regards,

Ping Wu

Ping Wu
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Can you provide any more details?

0 Kudos
pingwu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the quick response.

My questions should be break into two part. (may be I should post AMD to Xeon migration in the other thread)

Anyway, first thing first:

I have created a Solaris10 6/06 update2 VM in ESX 3.0.2 with Dell PowerEdge 2950 (Xeon). I then use VMware converter 3.0.1 convert to a Stand alone image to Workstation 5.x; VMwre Server 1.x....

I can not bring up the same VM in VMware Server 1.0.4. with Windows 2003-32bit on Dell PE 2950 (Xeon), It come up to GNU GRUB screen then goes to black console with SunOS 5.10 ..... and eventually goes back to the big "VMWare" Logo BIOS screen as is there is restart of the VM and go back to the same cycle to GNU GRUB screen.

But I was able to bring up the same copy of VM in Workstation 5.5 and VMware server 2 Bata. Do I need to do something different in VMware Server 1.0.4?

Regards,

Ping Wu

Ping Wu
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The behavior you describe for VMware Server 1.0.4 is exactly what would be expected of Solaris 10 Update 2 on a family 6 Xeon processor. Are you testing all of the VMware hosted products on the same system?

0 Kudos