VMware Cloud Community
pearlyshells
Contributor
Contributor

Snapshotting Exchange 2007 VM

I am told that it is futile to create an Exchange 2007 server especially if it is a DC, as well and because we'd like to have the snapshotting feature to recover it. The reason: restoring a snapshot or even the VM would create a NEW SID for the Exchange Accts and the other Domain Controllers in the forest would "update" the VM since it has a new SID.

I thought that the snapshot or the restoration of the VM from backup (ie. using vRangerPro, for example) would "retain" the original SID and thus be useable for recovery purposes.

Is what I've been told correct? If so, I don't see a good enough reason to virtualize Exchange 2007 serv ers

0 Kudos
5 Replies
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

Snapshotting a windows VM does NOT create a new SID.

We do this regularly, and it works fine.

--Matt

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
pearlyshells
Contributor
Contributor

thanks. are your Exchange VMs 2007? or, 2003?

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

We have both.

--Matt

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
pearlyshells
Contributor
Contributor

many thanks for the information

0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Snapshotting a windows VM does NOT create a new SID.

We do this regularly, and it works fine.

--Matt

Same here, no problems, no new SID. Done multiple DR restore tests and I'm able to restore domain controllers / exchange / any other VM and not have it hickup with the domain (as long as you don't mess with the time on the domain controllers until you've restored all other VMs).

But back to the point, what you were told about the snapshot creating a new SID is wrong.

• Kyle

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
0 Kudos