VMware Cloud Community
Snivek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Snapshoted Disk - Extending and Cloning

I have a disk that has has snapshots performed on it. I would like to extend this disk. Before I extend it I want to make a backup of it (clone). I am aware that I have to perform these operations on the Parent disk. My question is when I do vmkfstools -i, will it consolidate my snapshots into a single disk?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No, it will only import the base vmdk (i.e. pre-snapshots), so you'd lose all of the changes since the first snapshot was taken.

You need to commit the snapshots before exporting the .vmdk really, other messier option is to power the VM off and export the base vmdk and all -00001(etc).vmdk snapshot deltas. (and the .vmsd/.vmsn).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No, it will only import the base vmdk (i.e. pre-snapshots), so you'd lose all of the changes since the first snapshot was taken.

You need to commit the snapshots before exporting the .vmdk really, other messier option is to power the VM off and export the base vmdk and all -00001(etc).vmdk snapshot deltas. (and the .vmsd/.vmsn).

0 Kudos
Snivek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

What is the process for committing all snapshots?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

vmware-cmd /path/to/vmname/vmname.vmx removesnapshots

or...

Right click VM -> snapshot manager in the VI client. Then click 'delete all'. (this actually comits the snaps, the button labels aren't very clear).

0 Kudos
Snivek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Excellent. The names are misleading. Thank you for the info!

0 Kudos