VMware Cloud Community
Ty1on
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Snapshot not available on one of my VMs in VI Client 3

I have an ESX server with four virtual machines, the snapshot menu option is available for three of the four machines. What could be going on here. What makes the snapshot available for one and not available for another machiine.

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Mike_Deardurff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Try installing VMtools on the VM that doesnt have the snap feature

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Perhaps that VM is a legacy VM. Until it is upgraded to VI3 virtual hardware, snapshots are not allowed.

0 Kudos
Ty1on
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No luck with repair, modifying my initial install of VMWare Tools.

With regards to the second suggestion, YES I'm currently at VI3.

Still looking for answers. Thanks...

0 Kudos
VMKR9
Expert
Expert

Check the permissions on the vm, if you have been given an explicit read it will take precedence over other stronger permissions

0 Kudos
Ty1on
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Permissions are good. I'm logging in as root. Thanks for the response.

If the snapshop menu option is greyed out...the obvious answer is that I can't snapshot the VM! But why would it ever be greyed out? Especially since I'm logged in as root with Administrator permissions.

The other wierd thing is that when I go to edit settings on this particular VM and select hard drives, the options are all greyed out as well.

I call on the quote on quote ESX server & VIC experts to reach deep into their wealth of knowledge and offer that one, two or three good answers where a weary VM enthusiast good say, WOW!

0 Kudos
VMKR9
Expert
Expert

Was the machine previously an ESX 2.x machine? If the settings are greyed out it normally means it is a 2.x machine and needs the hardware upgrade. Also is the disk non persistent?

0 Kudos
Ty1on
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the response but it's an ESX 3.0 server.

What turns the switch on or off (Snapshot)?

0 Kudos
Mike_Deardurff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Tylon,

I understand you are on ESX3.0, but i just want to confirm your VM is a VMFS3 volume. You can have a older VM still running in ESX3.0 just with limited features i.e. snapshot and such features

One way to find out is to right-click the VM in question and see if there is a "upgrade virtual hardware" option available, if so, run it and upgrade your vm.

Let me know if its available.

0 Kudos
VMKR9
Expert
Expert

A number of things can stop the snap shot menu being available, most likely disk is non persistent or the permissions are not set for snap shot.

0 Kudos
EdwinW
Contributor
Contributor

We had the same problem but that was because we had 3 raw luns attached to the vm. After removing the raw luns (machine must be powered off), we could make a snapshot and attach the raw luns back to the vm and start it up again.

0 Kudos
ejward
Expert
Expert

I'm having the same issue. I built 2 fresh VM's on ESX v3.0.1 with VMFS 3 storage. These VM's are as fresh as it gets. The ESX server even has all of the latest patches.

The only odd thing about these VM's is that they are set up as a cluster. So, they share a VMDK file. Could that prevent a snapshot?

0 Kudos
ejward
Expert
Expert

What if you have Virtual SCSI bus sharing on? Does this cause you to not be able to do a snapshot?

0 Kudos
MACatMCS
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem. Had 2 VMs running win2k3, upgraded them to enterprise edition, added 2 more drives on local host storage (for data and quorum) and configured them as MSoft cluster. All works well except that the snapshot option is greyed out on both.

C drive is not independent on both and is not shared - of course.

E and F drives are shared on another virtual SCSI controller and are currently flagged as independent/persistent, although it made no difference when I changed from non-independent earlier today.

running esx3.0.1 and Vctr 2.0.1

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
MACatMCS
Contributor
Contributor

P.S. The second SCSI controller is set for SCSI BUS Sharing:virtual

Mac

0 Kudos
radu_dinut
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Same problem: raw device. Removed it and we could take a snapshot.

0 Kudos
Bazzek
Contributor
Contributor

We had the same issue here, out of 50 machines with Windows 2003, 2 of them do not have the snapshot option available.

Both machines have normal unshared disks (not raw)

There is no SCSI bus sharing

VM Tools are repaired and installed.

I have full permissions

Guests have been freshly installed on these hosts on version 3.0.1

Using VC 2.0.1

Running on a VMFS3 volume (we have 5)

Not running split over 2 volumes

During installation the creator of these guest made 1 error. He chose the legacy hardware that is available and as a result the snapshot was greyed out. After upgrading the guest hardware (turn off, right click) it can snapshot.

0 Kudos