VMware Cloud Community
zenomorph
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Snapshot Manager Query

Hi

I have a query about the snapshot manager features, I've read the SnapShot Manager doco. Support I have the following:

ServerABC

Default Installation - Win2k3

Snapshot 1 - Join domain

Snapshot 2 - Install IIS

Snapshot 3 - Install .Net

Snapshot 4 - Install WebDav

Snapshot 5 - Install SQL2k5

as I understand each changes are made to the snapshot I am working on and they are not written to the VMDK until I delete the Snapshots.

So as I know if I revert to each snapshot I will only have the changes up to and including changes made at that snapshot, and I understand that when I delete a snapshot the changes in that snap shot get written to the previous snapshots file. What I'd like to know is if I'm at snapshot 5 installing SQL then I mess up the OS or the SQL installation I know I can go back to snapshot 4. Then if I delete the snapshot 5, will the changes made in the messed up OIS/SQL2k5 install get written to the snapshot I'm working on the Snapshot 4, or will my snapshot 4 stay clean.

Because what I know is if I delete all the snapshots at once, all the changes in snapshot 1-5 get written to the vmdk which means in the end I'll have the issues I had in Snapshot 5.

Can someone please clarify this for me. Many thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You don't have to remove all of the snapshots at once. You can delete the snapshot you need to remove, and continue from that point where you need to restart.

Once you create a snapshot, all changes are written at the point of the snapshot creation. All new modifications are written to a separate file. In your case, if you revert to snapshot 4 and delete snapshot 5, then those changes should not be written to the vmdk. Your snapshot 4 will stay clean, and you will be starting at a point as if you had just created snapshot 4.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello, which VMware product are you using?

0 Kudos
zenomorph
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dave,

I'm using ESX3.5

Thanks

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Your post has been moved to the Virtual Machine and Guest OS forum

Dave Mishchenko

VMware Communities User Moderator

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You don't have to remove all of the snapshots at once. You can delete the snapshot you need to remove, and continue from that point where you need to restart.

Once you create a snapshot, all changes are written at the point of the snapshot creation. All new modifications are written to a separate file. In your case, if you revert to snapshot 4 and delete snapshot 5, then those changes should not be written to the vmdk. Your snapshot 4 will stay clean, and you will be starting at a point as if you had just created snapshot 4.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos