VMware Cloud Community
Vi_Infastructur
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

SnapShot button grey out - unable to take a snapshot for VM

Hi All,

I have a question and hope someone can help me on this. I try to take a snap shot of my virtual machine, but the button is grey out, and there is no way for me to do it. I searched the knowledge base, but did not find out anything further. When I go to virtual machine with VMFS format, I able to see the snapshot button, However, when I go to virtual machine with HBA storage RDM, the snapshot button grey out.

My environment:

Version :Vi 3.0.2 Update 1.

VM : Windows 2003 R2 SP1,

Storage : RAW data (RDM) (May be because I using RDM)

Thanks,

Tom P.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BryanMcC
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If all else fails remove the RDM and add it back with virtual mode.. Just say remove without deletign from disk to be safe and then add it back.

Help me help you by scoring points.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
BryanMcC
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

That is correct.. If your RDM is in physical mode you cannot snapshot the VM.

0 Kudos
Vi_Infastructur
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Bryan,

That means VMWare won't support the snapshot if your virtual machine attaches to RDM format? In my case, the guest OS is in vmfs, but the data is CLARIION Cx3-40 FC storage LUN with RDM format. Should it be OK?

Thanks,

Tom P.

0 Kudos
petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

You would have to change the RDM to virtual mode in order to be able to take a snapshot. As Bryan pointed out it is not possible with RDM physical mode.

www.thevirtualheadline.com www.liquidwarelabs.com
BryanMcC
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You should just be able to shut down the VM and change the mode with no impact as long as you are not using SAN/LUN management tools from the guest.

Vi_Infastructur
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Bryan,

I am totally new to this VM world. Would you give me more detail about this process? Currently, the OS is not in the production yet, so I can shutdown and move them to the "Virtual Mode". However, if I do that (and how), would my data storage will no longer in RDM mode? I am using Replicate Manager for clonning the data LUN.

Tom P.

0 Kudos
BryanMcC
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

No impact at all... Should be seemless.. Here you go....

Shutdown the VM

Right Click the VM and Select Edit Settings

On the Hardware Tab Highlight your Mapped Raw LUN

In the Compatability Mode heading to the right select Virtual

Press OK

Power on the VM

0 Kudos
Vi_Infastructur
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

May be it is not my day. I follow your instruction, but both the radio button of Vitual and Physical in Compatible Mode are grey out. No selection allows me to change it.

0 Kudos
BryanMcC
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If all else fails remove the RDM and add it back with virtual mode.. Just say remove without deletign from disk to be safe and then add it back.

0 Kudos
Vi_Infastructur
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That is it! I have to remove and add it back. Now I have see why my EMC's replication clone is stop working. But it is OK, It is part of testing all the function before I put them on the production.

Thank you very much.

Tom P.

0 Kudos
Vi_Infastructur
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

FYI,

The "VIRTUAL" mode is currently not support for EMC's Replication Manager Clone and Snapshot. They only support "PHYSICAL" mode on fibre channel to RDM LUN on CLARIION Cx3-40. The article "EMC Replication Manager with CLARiiON and VMware ESX Server" mentioned about the compatibility of the two mode.

After I swicth from "physical" to "virtual" to be able do a VM SnapShot, the Replication failed apart. When I change it back kto "Physical" mode, the Replication Manager able to do cloning and snapshot in snap view. Too bad that I can not have both function from EMC and VMware.:_|

Thanks,

Tom P.

0 Kudos