VMware Cloud Community
fvogel
Contributor
Contributor

Simple Linux (Fedora) video drive question

I'm not as familiar with linux as windows; but have been making linux VMs lately. I would like the VM to have a display with 1600x1200 resolution; but it looks like the base vmware drive for the linux machines caps at 1152x864.

I would like to know 2 things if possible:

1) Is there a way to update this to get a higher resolution and how?

2) I'm not sure I understand how the virtual video device works (i.e things someone setting up new VMs needs to know) and wouldn't mind a brief expaination from someone who knows.

Thanks,

Fred

0 Kudos
5 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

If you have the vmware tools installed, it would include the udpated vga driver. I am not all that sure that you can get resolution much higher than you already have it. But you may check your X11 config file, as I believe that is what is used. You should be able to go in and select the type of resolution you need.

Sorry I can't give more info.

Thanks,

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
fvogel
Contributor
Contributor

My original thought was to try to install vmware tools onto the VM; but I have only had luck installing that on windows machines and not linux machines so far. Is there a linux version of the vmware tools? If so how do I apply it?

thanks,

Fred

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

The initiate process it the same, right-click and then select 'Install vmware tools'

The difference here is that will only mount an image onto the vm for you. You will have to install manually.

Review this:

And page 29 of the guest install guide:

-KjB

0 Kudos
fvogel
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you, i was able to get vmware tools on this linux VM and run it. The documentation you referred me to was good.

It did allow me to boost the resolution up a little bit more from 1152x864 to 1180x885. I wish it were higher but that may be all I can get out of it.

Thanks for your help.

Fred

P.S. - I was going to score you points for your answer to my question; i was sure this was a points board. I'm not finding where that is. If it is possible to score you points for helping me and you can tell me where to go to score them for you i will. Thanks Again.

P.S.S. - So i started a new thread and that one has the buttons for scoring; this thread does not. I do not know why.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

You have to mark the thread as a question, and then you can mark answer and give points.

-KjB

0 Kudos