VMware Cloud Community
zilll
Contributor
Contributor

Setup Windows Server 2008 Cluster in VMWare 4

I've installed Windows Server 2008 and trying to setup Failover Cluster on 2 VMs.

I've created shared disks correctly: Quorum, MSDTC and SQL Data (eventually I want to setup SQL Server 2008 Cluster)

When I create a Failover Cluster everything goes through, but Validation fails on identifying shared disks, Quorum included.

Both nodes can see these disks.

Anyone can help me?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Nope sorry can't help you, you're teasing us with software that is not available to the public (ESX 3.5 is the latest from what I know)

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

maybe he means Workstation 4.5 as that was the last one where MS-clusters were supposed to work stable

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

OK.. enough kidding.. still can't help on the VI4 bit as I don't have access to it, but have a look at

PS: Welcome to the VMware forums Smiley Wink

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
zilll
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry got mixed up the versions. I meant VM Workstation 4 and ESX 3.5

0 Kudos
Craig_Baltzer
Expert
Expert

Windows 2008 clustering requires SCSI-3 persistent reservation support on the disks which isn't provided by VMware "shared SCSI bus" configurations or any of the "open source" iSCSI targets (i.e. OpenFiler, Open-E, etc.). The easiest way to get W2K8 clustering going is to use something like RocketDivision's StarWind iSCSI target () to create some "shared" storage and then use the built-in iSCSI initiator in W2K8 to connect up to the storage for clustering...

0 Kudos
Joydeepdutt
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same kind of issue:

ESX Server 4.0

i built 2 virtual machines with the following settings

OS - Microsoft Windows 2008 Server (64 bit) With Memory2048

2 NIC card on each server

1 is for public + Another for private = Configured them correctly (heartbeats set)

C: drive of each machine to be assigned with 70 GB space

Local Disk 1 - 80 Gb

Local Disk 2 - 120 Gb

Shared Disk 1 - 10GB

Shared Disk 2 - 15GB

Shared Disk 3 - 15GB

everything is going ok but when i'm trying to add storage i get this message "No disks suitable for cluster disks were found"

when i run the validation test for clustering storage on windows 2008 i got this warning message on the report

"No disks were found on which to perform cluster validation tests. To correct this, review the following possible causes:

• The disks are already clustered and currently Online in the cluster. When testing a working cluster, ensure that the disks that you want to test are Offline in the cluster.

• The disks are unsuitable for clustering. Boot volumes, system volumes, disks used for paging or dump files, and disks that do not use NTFS are examples of disks unsuitable for clustering.

• The disks are not visible to all nodes (even though they are in shared storage). Review the "List All Disks" test to see which disks are visible to all nodes. Ensure that the disks you want to test are unmasked, that is, your masking or zoning does not prevent access to the disks. If the disks seem to be unmasked or zoned correctly but could not be tested, try restarting the servers before running the validation tests again.

• The cluster does not use shared storage. A cluster must use a hardware solution based either on shared storage or on replication between nodes. If your solution is based on replication between nodes, you do not need to rerun Storage tests. Instead, work with the provider of your replication solution to ensure that replicated copies of the cluster configuration database can be maintained across the nodes.

No disks were found on which to perform cluster validation tests. "

In disk management : I can see all the shared drives from both machines

so, what is the wrong here

Why cant I add any storage disks in cluster wiz. ?

any body can help us on this ?

0 Kudos
sysprobs
Contributor
Contributor

I have configured and tested Windows 2008 and 2008 R2 clusters in VMware workstation 6.5 and 7. Both server operating systems required SCSI-3 persistent reservation disks for failover cluster. to do this in VMware you have to install Free NAS program called FreeNAS. Read more on installing FreeNAS and configuring for windows 2008 and R2 cluster here.

0 Kudos