VMware Cloud Community
morrisos
Contributor
Contributor

Server 2008 R2 Unidentified network

Hello,

I've been deploying Server 2008 R2 Enterprise VM's in vSphere 4 cluster. I keep getting "Unidentified network" , Public Network where the VM can't see anything in the domain or the Gateway. Sometimes I can get things working by removing adapter and using a VMXNET3 adapter but not always.

Is there anything with Server 2008 R2 that I am missing? The domain servers are up and available to the VM Hosts.

Thanks,

Morrisos

0 Kudos
4 Replies
kmajors
Contributor
Contributor

Make sure you have all the updates and patches loaded on the VMware server. Also make sure you have the proper OS type selected for the virtual machine.

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

i found it, might solve http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100481...

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
drosi
Contributor
Contributor

We had a similar issue on Server 08 R2 on cluster another tech manages that I work with. Turns out it was the Nic we were using in VM and there was no formal documentation of the issue at the time. I am sorry I don't recall the nic we went to in our ESX cluster for Server 08 R2 installs, but what you are experiencing may be related. Research on using another Nic a little more.

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Does your Guest have a default gateway configured?   I believe the Windows Firewall in 2008R2 will default to "unidentified network" unless all NICs have a default gateway configured.

0 Kudos