VMware Cloud Community
FlingDog
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Server 2008 DNS Issue

My Windows Server 2008 VMs will not automatically create DNS records but will update them if I manually create them. Here is the break down. I have multiple servers in my domain both virtual and physical all with static IP addresses. The physical server running server 2003 and 2008 create and update DNS records like they are suppose to. I have several Server 2003 VMs that also work fine with DNS. The only problem I have is with Server 2008 running as a VM. What I have had to do for all of the 2008 VMs is manually create the DNS record and modify the permissions so that it has modify rights to the record. Does anyone have any ideas of what the problem may be?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NickMarshall9
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi FlingDog,

Welcome to the forums!

I'd very much doubt you have a VMware specific issue here. It sounds like your DNS permissions are not quite right.

If you delete you manual entries in DNS, does it re-appear if you manually register it from the effected server? Try running the following in a command prompt: ipconfig /registerdns

As stated after completing the command, the DNS record(s) should be updated and if not the best place to look is the event viewer on both your DNS and your effected server after 15 minutes.

Post back if you're still having issues.

Cheers,

Book - Mastering VMware vSphere 5.5 Blog - LabGuides.com & NickMarshall.com.au Podcast - vBrownBag.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
NickMarshall9
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi FlingDog,

Welcome to the forums!

I'd very much doubt you have a VMware specific issue here. It sounds like your DNS permissions are not quite right.

If you delete you manual entries in DNS, does it re-appear if you manually register it from the effected server? Try running the following in a command prompt: ipconfig /registerdns

As stated after completing the command, the DNS record(s) should be updated and if not the best place to look is the event viewer on both your DNS and your effected server after 15 minutes.

Post back if you're still having issues.

Cheers,

Book - Mastering VMware vSphere 5.5 Blog - LabGuides.com & NickMarshall.com.au Podcast - vBrownBag.com
0 Kudos
vbacon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

• Is the DNS zone an AD integrated zone allowing only secure dynamic updates?
  • If so are the servers already joined to the domain when they attempt to register their DNS entry?
  • If the VMs are deployed from template are you running sysprep to change the SID at the time of deployment (or running NewSID)? Having a duplicate SID could be the problem.
  • I assume that the DHCP client service is not disabled as you state that the servers can update the records fine after you manually create them and modify the permissions. The DHCP client service actually registers DNS records for the server.
FlingDog
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The issue was with the SID and sysprep. When the configuration file was created the check box for Generate New Security ID was not checked.

Don't know how I over looked that but thanks for your help.

0 Kudos