VMware Cloud Community
MAHC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Server 2003 Locked Device

I am currently running a guest OS (Windows 2003) on an ESX 3.5 server that is no longer responding. I tried to do a hard reset but am unable to. When I try I get the error " Operation failed since another task is in progress". Is there another way to do this so I can get this device back up and operational?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can try a simple hostd restart first, 'service mgmt-vmware restart'

The shutdown/power off may not have completed successfully, hence the task in progress message. Log into the service console, and run 'ps auxwww |grep vm_name' That should give you the process ID of the vm, if it is running. Kill that process, and you should be able to get the vm back. If it does not come back right away, you can remove the vm from inventory, and then browse your datastore, and add it back in.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can try a simple hostd restart first, 'service mgmt-vmware restart'

The shutdown/power off may not have completed successfully, hence the task in progress message. Log into the service console, and run 'ps auxwww |grep vm_name' That should give you the process ID of the vm, if it is running. Kill that process, and you should be able to get the vm back. If it does not come back right away, you can remove the vm from inventory, and then browse your datastore, and add it back in.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
bradley4681
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

sometimes when running kill it doesn't always work, you can then try kill -9 PID#

Cheers,

Bradley Sessions

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Cheers! If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".