VMware Cloud Community
stormlight
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

SQL P2V issue dual procs to single. Changed to ACPI Uniprocessor but still issues.

Hello, We P2V a SQL 2000 box. The physical had 2 Procs. I made sure to change the proc in the device manager to single ACPI proc during the process as well as remove other uneeded devices and software. We had a successful p2v for a few weeks.

All of the sudden the SQL.exe service shot to a 100 percent this morning and would not drop for 3 hours. This is a fairly small database at 12 gigs. After a few reboots and service restart and stops I decided to add another proc. I had to because i couldnt even run sql profiler or even open up the services since the cpu was so pegged.

As soon as that second proc was added it went from 100% to basically zero. Its not like the 2 proc helped with the workload because if that was the case it would have been at least 50% to make up for the 100%percent first proc.

With that is there something else I need to make sure that happens with a P2V of physical box that had 2 proc's to a single proc vm besides the one change in device manager?

If you find this or any post helpful please award points

0 Kudos
6 Replies
nick_couchman
Immortal
Immortal

Maybe there's some sort of configuration directive for SQL server that tells it to use multiple CPUs, start multiple threads, etc.?

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

When you did the P2V, did you select 2 processors? And, when you say you changed to UNI processor HAL, did you do that before or after the P2V?

Converter will modify the HAL for you, so you shouldn't need to manually chang the HAL during the P2V. It is only afterwards when you decide you need less procs where the change is sometimes beneficial.

If you go into the device manager now, does it show uniprocessor, even when you added the 2nd processor?

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
stormlight
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I left the P2V at two procs, I forgot to change it while using the p2v converter

After the P2V finished I edited the vm removing 1 proc and then going to device manager and changing it to uni.

After the incedint and adding the 2 proc back, the device manager does infact show ACPI multiproc

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

It sounds to me like your UNI proc HAL change did not take. This is one of the biggest issues after a P2V has been completed. If you have the time, I would suggest leaving your current vm with 2 procs, and then running a P2V (or in this case a V2V) of the vm itself, and change the procs to 1 during the conversion process.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
stormlight
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can you tell me where you see the option to change the number of procs in the p2v process. I just ran through the vmware converter boot cd again (latest version) and there is no option to specify procs that i can find.

0 Kudos
mike_laspina
Champion
Champion

Hello,

Run the follwing on the sql box to see whats pegging the proc.

osql -S localhost -E -w 420 -Q "sp_who2" > C:\sp_who.log

You can post the file if you are not sure what it's reporting

http://blog.laspina.ca/ vExpert 2009
0 Kudos